Former IT director jailed for selling government-owned network switches on eBay

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? In what appears to be a case of someone abusing their position, a former chief information security officer has been sentenced to two years in prison after ordering expensive networking equipment for the county government and selling it on eBay.

Terry Shawn Petrill, 48, of Myrtle Beach was the IT Security Director for Horry County in South Carolina, where he worked for more than 12 years. According to court documents, he ordered forty-one Cisco 3850 switches between June 11, 2015, and August 23, 2018, that were supposed to be installed on the Horry County network.

Once the switches arrived and Petrill accepted the deliveries, he told other IT staff members that he would take care of installation himself. But instead of adding the devices to the network, he sold them to third parties and kept the money.

Network switches aren’t cheap, with some Cisco brands priced over $20,000. Agents say that Petrill auctioned nine of them off on eBay and other websites, but don’t know what happened to the rest.

One of Cisco's 3850 switches from the company's website

Petrill’s actions weren’t discovered until an inventory audit in December 2018, a month after he left the government. An FBI investigation led back to the former IT Security Director, who pleaded guilty to stealing the 41 switches back in November 2019. The crime cost Horry County government $345,266, which Petrill must repay.

Petrill this week was sentenced to 24 months in federal prison, followed by three years of court-ordered supervision.

“Those who steal from our local governments are raiding the South Carolina taxpayers,” said US Attorney Peter McCoy Jr. “This is unacceptable, and as this case shows we will seek prison time and restitution against those who engage in such theft. I appreciate the dedicated work of our law enforcement partners and government officials in Horry County who provided critical assistance in this case.”

Main image credit: Anucha Cheechang

Permalink to story.

This guy was pretty dumb to think it wouldn't get caught that is the whole reason for an audit.

And at his level he surely had to audit equipment the 12 years he was there so the decision makes no sense.
They only found out about 9 being sold... I'd wager he stole far more than switches... that's just all he got caught doing...

I'd also wager that the investigation cost the taxpayers FAR more than $350,000 - and I doubt he'll even be paying all (or even most) of that sum back...

We’ve got loads of old switches and routers lying around from Cisco, Avaya, Alcatel etc. Whenever I ask what’s happening with them I get a “oh we need to get them recycled”. I did not know they might be worth this much! I’m going to offer to “recycle” them myself!

However I’m not as dumb as this guy, il get permission first..

We’ve got loads of old switches and routers lying around from Cisco, Avaya, Alcatel etc. Whenever I ask what’s happening with them I get a “oh we need to get them recycled”. I did not know they might be worth this much! I’m going to offer to “recycle” them myself!

Careful most governments already have a contract with an E-Waste recycler of some sort.

It's a very lucrative business. I have a "friend" who owns a scrapyard and he resells various equipment for huge profits... My color-laser printer (and about 10 years worth of toner) came from him as a present...
Yep if you can get dod and a few other certificates it can be very profitable, free 3-4yr old computers with high-end specs as well as servers.

Careful most governments already have a contract with an E-Waste recycler of some sort.
We do, I know them. It’s the same people who provide us our hardware. They won’t mind. But yeah I’m not an *****, I’m going to ask if I can just have them, take them home. Then il sell them. I’ve already got a pile of old thinkpads that they were going to throw away, they have Intel 4xxx quads, handy for any friend who wants to join our ageing minecraft server.

Oh I don’t work for the government, I work for a private firm that provides some critical infrastructure. It’s the U.K. gov, they can’t do anything themselves!

There's always a bum in the system .... it's just a matter of time & luck when you finally find them .....

Please get that permission in written form. Might save you a massive headache one day.

Best of luck.

This guy was pretty dumb to think it wouldn't get caught that is the whole reason for an audit.

And at his level he surely had to audit equipment the 12 years he was there so the decision makes no sense.
sometimes people are blinded with the thought of 'free' money......

Back