Noctua U14s
Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz, 16gb
Asrock X370 Taichi
Vega 56 Reference (Asrock)
EVGA 650 P2
Just updated Chipset drivers today
Bios 4.4
Windows High Performance

I got my new Vega 56 upgrading from an old GTX 670, super excited, loaded up my favorite game, Warframe, (beit not the most demanding) To see what FPS I get.

In Fortuna I was getting 40 fps. Sheer panic, run all of the benchmarks, all of the games and the GPU checks out, in the games that it happens,, GPU usage isn't even close to 100%. So clearly a CPU issue
I did a fresh install of Windows 10 to see if that's the issue, nope.

Since then Ive just accepted it, and noticed other games, PUBG, Blops, Sea Of Thieves all dip below 50 fps at times. Thinking it was just a 1600x thing

For the giggles I decided to throw my CPU back to stock (Normally at 4.0). Wouldn't you know it. 100+ fps in the same place I was getting 40-50 fps in Warframe. I went through the gauntlet of games and synthetics. Benchmarks show a lower score, but Im hitting 10%-50% better FPS in games I was previously having trouble with.

After playing with every setting I could think of in my Bios, it comes down to: Any kind of overclocking (manual, pstate, BLCK) if I set it myself, I get huge fps drops. However, if I leave the board in auto, the chip only hits 3.7ghz, but the FPS gains are huge. Overclocking to 4ghz manually or Pstate, shows appropriate gains in scores for Synthetic benchmarks, but massive dips in FPS in games

Doesn't matter if I set the overclock to 3.6 or 4.0, or even match the exact settings auto was doing by itself, as long as *I* set the frequency *myself* in some way, the same issue happens. Doing the Google rounds really hasn't come up with much. Typical check your temps, could be an unstable OC, make sure you're in high performance, could be an XFR thing (doubt it), ect ect

Wild. I'm wondering what Steve Walton will say about this. My guess (shot in the dark - bang - gurgle - gag, Marlow got me) is that timing is everything. What if OC on CPU has impacted base clock or PCIe clock...with the hidden message being that you cannot OC on this mb with this cpu except for benchmark brag rights.

Wild. I'm wondering what Steve Walton will say about this. My guess (shot in the dark - bang - gurgle - gag, Marlow got me) is that timing is everything. What if OC on CPU has impacted base clock or PCIe clock...with the hidden message being that you cannot OC on this mb with this cpu except for benchmark brag rights.

Hard to say, blck stays at 100 on auto or my previous OCs. My guess maybe there's something happening with specific instruction sets. I should really do some better synthetic benching to see what instructions get penalized with the OC.

Its an X370 Taichi, one of the best for Overclocking. Ill update the bios and see what happens.

I'd love some input from Steve, I know he has good experience with Ryzen and the X370 Taichi specifically. A big selling point was how much HWUB used it

Back