Free 'U2' album likely part of ad campaign that cost Apple $100 million

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple itunes music u2 free album songs of innocence

There was much more to Apple’s media event last week than the unveiling of two new iPhones and a smartwatch. Near the end of the keynote, CEO Tim Cook invited U2 on stage to perform for those in attendance. Afterwards, the two announced that U2 was releasing a brand new album called “Songs of Innocence” and that every iTunes user in 119 countries around the globe would be able to download it free of charge.

Never before has a group launched an album that has been available to so many people (500 million iTunes customers) at once. It was a historic occasion but as with most publicity stunts, the driving factor is money.

No, U2 didn’t release the album free of charge out of the kindness of their hearts or to create a lot of publicity. Apple paid for the opportunity to launch the album exclusively on iTunes which appears to be part of an overall larger ad campaign.

As noted in this Billboard article, the lead single from the album is set to be featured in a massive media campaign from Apple that’s valued at $100 million by multiple sources. U2 manager Guy Oseary never actually confirms or denies the figure but odds are, the album release kicked off the beginning of the campaign.

In a separate post from Re/code published last Friday, the site claimed users had downloaded more than 2 million copies of the album since it was released on Tuesday. It’s difficult to tell whether that’s a solid number or not as there are multiple variables at play not to mention the fact the album is streaming on iTunes Radio. Either way, we can expect to hear a lot from the band in Apple advertising leading up to the lucrative holiday buying season.

Permalink to story.

Supposedly, the whole point of this is to lure people into creating iTunes accounts. That may not seem significant but when you make an account, you put in credit card info. This influx of new users will help make Apple Pay more robust I guess.

I wouldn't want anything on my device that I don't want. Especially the band youtube.
Apple waisted a bunch of money that could have been used to LOWER the cost to the consumer for this
MINOR upgrade. Just like Samsung, instead of innovating, they just release incremental updates with faster processors, or tighter pixel density screens, ripping of consumers because the Note3, or the iPhone5 is just as fast, just as clear as the next generation. Heck, other than benchmarks, I'd put my Huawei Ascend Mate2, with a snapdragon 400, 720p screen, JB4.3 up against this overpriced phones any day. Other than a gimmick here or a gimmick there, they all do the same thing but I could buy 2-3 of my device, for what it costs for a Note4 or iPhone6. I'd rather save the money than waste it on something that has no true benefit, other than the narcissistic need to "show it off" to the rest of the hipster world that you wasted a bunch of money for nothing.

Another reason why iPhones are so overpriced...they have to pay huge fees to the likes of U2.

And just look in the photo how Tim Cook and Bono are pretending to be best mates, lol.

More fakery from Apple.

Yes it seems some people overpriced but you can sell years later much higher price than any other phones, so you can get back your money.
Everybody has a dream Aplle same when Steve lived but not anymore.
Much less innovation show clearer overpriced.
Ovorpriced its only a feeling not a fact.

I read about this a few days ago, many people twittering tim cook asking how to get rid of the U2 malware infection.
GG apple

Apple should have held a, "name the new U-2 album", contest. I'd have gone with, "Stick this up your iPhone, Why Don't Ya"! :p
Fun fact, much to my hatred, this album automatically turned up on my iphone without my knowledge or permission.
It could have been much worse, such as having a free Justin Beiber album show up on your phone without your permission. (With dishonorable mentions going to Britney Spears, Tiny Tim, and Tupac Shakur).
mckuo7r4mkvokmo7.jpg

Judging by this picture, I'd say you dodged a bullet!
What are some of the great U2 songs though?
Gosh, I don't know. "Sunday Bloody Sunday", maybe?
Yes it seems some people overpriced but you can sell years later much higher price than any other phones, so you can get back your money.
Everybody has a dream Aplle same when Steve lived but not anymore.
Much less innovation show clearer overpriced.
Ovorpriced its only a feeling not a fact.
Congratulations! You've been voted the most inarticulate Apple fanboi ever!

Last edited:
U2 first four albums are SUPERB

after that, they got into too much coke and other drugs and started sucking as they got wealthy.

It bloody pisses me off, they downloaded without my knowing into my song list and now my song list pauses whenever it comes to a U2 song.

It could have been much worse, such as having a free Justin Beiber album show up on your phone without your permission. (With dishonorable mentions going to Britney Spears, Tiny Tim, and Tupac Shakur).

Don't talk crap about Tiny Tim; the man was a real musician and the very humble way he shared his genuine talent with the world deserves to NOT be categorized together with showbiz bimbos, like Spears.

Captaincranky I dont think Apple need built into iPhone 6 the U2 bill, they has more than enough money.
Its not fanboyism question but economy thing.
2nd nobody will kill you if you buy another phone, there are many on market.
Lot of cheap Chinese phones.

Don't talk crap about Tiny Tim; the man was a real musician and the very humble way he shared his genuine talent with the world deserves to NOT be categorized together with showbiz bimbos, like Spears.
Maybe, but I'm still going with Britney and "Auto-Tune", for the win.:p
rs_634x1024-130827140413-634.britneyspears-snakeVMA.cm.82713.jpg

With that being said, who knows how far Tiny could have gone, if he had modern recording techniques and hormone replacement therapy in his closet! (Oops, I meant "corner"). http://www.antarestech.com/

Back