FreeAgent GoFlex Drive works on every computer but mine

DLambie

One of my many drive is the FreeAgent GoFlex Drive 1.5 TB pocket sized external drive - it works fine on every other computer but on mine it stopped working - actually when I plug it in to my computer it freezes my computer every time I plug it in however to unfreeze my computer all I have to do is unplug the drive (plug-in and unplug I mean connect and disconnect USB cable from my USB port on my computer).

I have a 700 watt Power supply and my other USB devices work just fine which includes all my other external hard drives - I did replace my Geforce 8800 GT grap[hics card with the Geforce GTx550 Ti graphics card.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried connecting it to a different USB port? It's possible that the port you are using is miswired and is putting out the wrong amount of voltage.

USB slots are all the same voltage and ONLY supply 500ma each.
Some USB hds need more power and are bright enough to provide a "Y" cable to pull power from two slots.

While the powers supply would seem to be more than adequate, the USB hardware on the motherboard would
appear to be {a} overly sensitive to to 500ma limit or {b} just plain bad in this regard - - this is a deduction from
your statement that the drive can be used in other system.

Make sure you are using a USB 2.0 slot and not a USB1.1 slot

Back