Freezing PC at login screen, Windows 7 *fresh installs*

Hanover

I don't use this pc much but the last time I used it it was perfectly fine which was a while ago.
Now I turn it on for my ex's kid so he can play spore and whenever I start ANY game it freezes at the start of the game.
Thought it was a driver issue, changed drivers.
Then that didn't work so I changed the video card.
Then that didnt work so I ran memtest and the ram passed.
Then maybe thought the old XP install was borked so I put on win 7.
Still freezing so I changed out the hard disk altogether.

Pc specs:

Amd phenom II 9950
Asus M3A79-t deluxe
Ati 4870 x2
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC 6400
Pc power and cooling 750w psu

I *CAN* boot into safe mode with no issue and even to a normal desktop in the msconfig diagnostics mode but I cannot get online even with safe mode with networking.

The system event viewer says:
'The network list service service depends on the network location awareness service which failed to start because of the following error:
the dependency service or group failed to start'

Application event viewer says:
'The winlogon notification subscriber GP client was unavailable to handle a notification event'

What the problems are:

PC freezes in XP when I try to launch a game
PC freezes in win7 after welcome screen but before desktop login
PC will boot in safe mode/msconfig diagnostic mode.

So far I have:

Tried 2 different win 7 copies
2 PSU's
2 hard disks
2 video cards, ATi and Nvidia
2 sets RAM
Uninstall/reinstall video drivers using driver cleaner/driver sweeper
Ran chkdsk
Ran MEMtest
Bios looks good
Board looks good, no bulging caps or irregularities

And still freezing at the exact same point of bootup.

I checked the event viewer again, now I'm getting this:

'The following boot start or system start driver failed to load:

discache
spldr
Wanarpv6

It looks like this is where the hang up is but 2 different win7 installs tells me it's not a coincidence when one version is running fine on my other pc with no issues for much longer than this one. And these are not existing installs, they are fresh installs on formatted drives.

Suggestions?

Talked to Asus support, they seem to think its a CPU issue since the board boots and can get to desktop in diagnostic mode

Well I guess it could be the CPU, but in my experience I have only seen bad CPU's cause NO POST, no booting, no nothing... Not much experience with newer AMD processors, although they do run hotter than their Intel counterparts

Its cooled with an aftermarket cooler, it doesnt or in this case didnt run hot at all. I'm led to believe its the mobo too, but I cant find any answers as to why it'll boot in safe mode and msconfig diagnostics mode but not to a normal desktop.

Yes, because of all those fresh installs, it can't be software, it has to be hardware. Do the Windows installs go smoothly? Maybe its a motherboard bios issue, but this would mess up the fresh installs I would think

Yes, because of all those fresh installs, it can't be software, it has to be hardware. Do the Windows installs go smoothly? Maybe its a motherboard bios issue, but this would mess up the fresh installs I would think
Yeah, they go completely normal. That's what has me stumped. Everything is totally normal until that first desktop appears.

Maybe a bad video card. Those higher level video drivers take over once the desktop is loaded

I would love to think so but I've tried 2 completely different cards already and did a fresh install of windows with each card and it freezes at the same point. I just can't pin down where the issue is. I'm already looking at other options now, I.E., replacing the mobo/RAM/CPU.

I haven't touched anything in the BIOS since I bought it, since I don't OC everything has always been set to 'auto'. My question is, what on the mobo would keep the boot processes from starting? One other problem I ran into also is that it won't connect to the net in safe mode with networking or with Ethernet drivers installed. I am looking to replace it all now as I can't find a mobo that will work with the phenom x4 9950BE CPU that was in it because it's a 140w CPU.

Back