Frequent Vista blue-screens, program crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,

I've recently been experiencing quite frequent blue-screen crashes relating to a number of subjects including, but not limited to, ntfs.sys, paging faults in unpaged areas, and irql not less or equal. On top of this, a number of seemingly random services are being closed at equally random times. Attached is an extensive number (30) of minidumps.

According to a number of similar situations posted here, I would be led to deduce that it is due to a RAM fault. I find this odd as I have not physically interacted with the RAM at, but dust build-up may be a contributing factor. Is this a possibility?

I have not installed any new hardware as of late, and all drivers are up-to-date. Currently running Vista Business [32-bit] on a HP 530 Notebook.

Further information about system specifications is available upon request.

Regards,
Darcy Mace

Dust can cause many issues particularly overheating which will cause a system to crash. If you have a lot of dust build up clean it out but since this is a notebook that is hard to do. Check your fan and exhaust ports.

Second, you don't need to "interact with the RAM." Your system does so automatically. Why memory goes bad no one knows. One day it is good and the next it faulters.

Try the following:

Run Memtest on your RAM. See link and follow the steps: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

* Another concern here is your mentioning of applications closing for no apparent reason. If you have not done so run a virus scan.

Thanks for the reply Route.

In terms of the program crashes, I've run a number of virus scans in the most aggressive manners possible and have turned up nothing. That was one of my first ports of call.

I only mentioned interacting with the RAM because the RAM mount seems to, from what I've read in previous threads, play a role. From what you've written, however, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've run MemTest already. Sorry, make that I've tried to run MemTest [Edit: Apparently we are talking about different MemTests. I used the one avaliable from hcidesign.com/memtest/.]. As soon as it starts it returns 'Memory error detected' messages continually, and, in conjunction with what you've written, it seems that that equates to a RAM fault. As I am only working with a single stick, short of being fixed by a good cleanout, it looks like I'm going to have to buy some entirely new RAM. Delightful.

If there is anything else that comes to mind, please, by all means run it by me.

Thanks,
Darcy

The good thing, Darcy, is that RAM is cheap! I strongly recommend that you get 2 Gigs because Vista loves RAM (unless of course your stick is a single 2 gig stick). Go to HP's website and look up your model and see how much RAM your system can take and what they recommend and then go purchase it from NewEgg.com where you'll be able to buy it considerably cheaper. HP will charge you a great deal more.

Another way you can find out the amount and type of RAM your system takes is to go to Crucial.com and let them scan your system for free. it is completely safe and accurate. Many, many people use it including myself. Just let them install their Active X. Again, you don't have to buy from them directly and you can often find Crucial's offerings less on Newegg than even their own website.

I also recommend you go ahead and run Memtest. If you get any memory errors you will need to replace it.

* Get back to us with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back