PC Blue screens but works in safe mode

Hi :)
My PC froze last week and is now blue screening at random times. I've tried different RAM, took all of the components I can out (graphics card, sound card, etc). Done clean boot - still crashes. Tried logging into my other boot of windows -still crashes. Replaced the motherboard - still crashes. Took M2 drive out and tried to reinstall windows on old SSD I have spare and it was freezing on the installer when installing from USB - so no drivers or windows loaded.
Yet it will run all day long in safe mode - WHAT!!!!?
I'm currently running CPU test - it's Intel i7-9700K - not clocked
The CPU test is on 4th loop and all passing OK
I am baffled to say the least.
Anyone got any ideas - before I pull what's left of my hair out - lol
Thank you so much in advance
Tim x

If you get a blue screen what is the error displayed? Does it keep changing or is it pretty much the same error message on the blue screen? Have you tired a memory test from Memtest (free)? Any heat issues? Try using HWinfo to monitor temps as you run tests. Flakey power supply? Remove as much hardware as you can when you are testing and try different USB keyboard/mouse. Bad USB has done a few rigs in for me (I work in IT). Have you looked at the Event Viewer? There might be a clue there. Try Nirsoft's Blue Screen Viewer to decode the memdumps.

Last edited:
Hey buddy - thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

The error is the same 0x0000225
A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed

I've tested the memory and tried memory from a friends machine that is fine and still freezes so not that. I have heat monitor software and never goes above 78 degrees. Removed all hardware and tried diff keyboard and mouse - in fact, it blue screens without them even plugged in.

Will have a look at event viewer and nirsoft and see if there's a clue.

Don't think it's a windows issue as it does it from the USB install program with nothing loaded - just on language selection.

I'd narrowed it down to PSU or CPU - like I said though it runs all day in safe mode which makes no sense. Also runs the CPU tester all day with no errors.

Surely safe mode uses as much power and as much CPU as the installer?

Also if it was PSU spiking - surely that would do that in safe mode too?

Thanks again my friend - much appreciate your help :O)

Hey buddy - thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

The error is the same 0x0000225
A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed

I've tested the memory and tried memory from a friends machine that is fine and still freezes so not that. I have heat monitor software and never goes above 78 degrees. Removed all hardware and tried diff keyboard and mouse - in fact, it blue screens without them even plugged in.

Will have a look at event viewer and nirsoft and see if there's a clue.

Don't think it's a windows issue as it does it from the USB install program with nothing loaded - just on language selection.

I'd narrowed it down to PSU or CPU - like I said though it runs all day in safe mode which makes no sense. Also runs the CPU tester all day with no errors.

Surely safe mode uses as much power and as much CPU as the installer?

Also if it was PSU spiking - surely that would do that in safe mode too?

Thanks again my friend - much appreciate your help :O)
If it runs all day in Safe Mode that strongly suggests a driver problem but you say it BSOD during Windows install which strongly suggests a piece of hardware is bad. You have swapped all parts but the CPU and PSU so logic dictates it's down to those 2 eh?

If it runs all day in Safe Mode that strongly suggests a driver problem but you say it BSOD during Windows install which strongly suggests a piece of hardware is bad. You have swapped all parts but the CPU and PSU so logic dictates it's down to those 2 eh?
Bought a new PSU and it still did it. Swapped the CPU into a work machine and it started blue screening. Mine was fine with work CPU in it. Found the problem and now have enough spare parts to build my wife a new machine - lol :)

Now let's see if Intel want to play ball - I've heard plenty of negative stories.

Fingers crossed and thanks for your help my friend :O)

Happy to help. The CPU is one of the hardest ones to diagnose but it has happened once in my 18 year long IT career.

Back