Fresh install XP SP2 - no video after start???

Status
Not open for further replies.

monton

After multiple clean installs of XP SP2 I have no video signal. I get the Windows XP splash screen and then a blank screen. I have been able to get into windows in safe mode and in device manager can see that the XP version of the ATI AIW video card is recognized. Because of Safe mode I can't install the updated video driver. Under the Display properties I am in VgaSave mode with conflicts in I/O ranges and memory ranges. It appears the conflicts are all with the AMD-761 Processor to AGP controller. How can I fix that? Any suggestions?

amd 1200
Asus A7M266 MB
ATI AIW 64
256mb Ram

Haven't installed the MOBO drivers

I can't install the mobo drivers because there is a conflict with the amd761.sys driver and the ATI AIW Radeon video driver. I am going to try to "reserve" the memory addresses (if possible) in the BIOS. I'll let you know how/if it works.

The mobo dates back from 2001. Maybe the AGP card is too new, or XP does not support that mobo or part thereof.
Have you tried Windows 2000 Pro?
Are the dipswitches on the mobo correct, no overclocking etc?

AMD Sp2 video and memory conflicts

Thanks for the suggestions. This is a curious one. The system is a A7m266 Asus board with a T-Bird 1200. The conflict is with the amdagp.sys driver. Apparently both the video driver and amdagp.sys driver want to live in the same memory address location.

I have been, on occasion, able to get into safe mode. In device manager the ATI AIW Radeon is recognized and has no errors.
In display properties, VgaSave is loaded and shows the conflicts. I went back to Device manager and under system deleted the Processor to AGP bridge, restarted and got into windows. I downloaded the most current ATI drivers and installed them. On reboot Windows finds new hardware and installs the software.... after the video drivers it finds the Processor to AGP bridge and installs that. The screen abruptly goe blank.

Currently I am trying to get back into safe mode but amdagp.sys is just there at the bottom of the screen that shows the drivers being loaded. Disk activity continues but nothing happens >20minutes so far

Not sure what to do next. This machine ran Windows 98se before my attempt to install XP Sp2.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

monton said:
I went back to Device manager and under system deleted the Processor to AGP bridge, restarted and got into windows.
This is the moment to install the mobo-CD.
If you miss this, you'll never get it to work. Or try W2K or (worst case) go back to W98.

Check in Device Manager, click on the + before Computer, if it says ACPI, try to switch that to Standard PC, or vice-versa.
Plenty of info on the web, on how to do this.

try updating

hi, i had the same problem. my mobo bios was out of date. all i did was get the new updated bios and everything worked fine

Same problem with MSI K7D motherboard

monton said:
I can't install the mobo drivers because there is a conflict with the amd761.sys driver and the ATI AIW Radeon video driver. I am going to try to "reserve" the memory addresses (if possible) in the BIOS. I'll let you know how/if it works.

Is anyone still working on this, or has anyone found out anything new? I'm particularly interested in what whether what you tried above works Monton, you seem to know what you are talking about.

My problem is also rebooting, even in safe mode, with amdagp.sys being the last driver shown. Unfortunately I can never get into safe or vgamode to change anything and have been trying to disable/rename drivers (so far amdagp.sys, amdagpxp.sys, mup.sys, giveio.sys) using the recovery console but to no avail.

My system was perfectly stable but then started with blue screens only at reboot/shutdown, saying something about accessing a memory location outside of the PAGEFILE. I followed the recommendation of disabling BIOS caching, but that didn't help. The rebooting during booting started after I installed and configured a Promise RAID card and a RAID 0 array, although now the problem remains even when I remove the card. Also trying another VGA card or even PCI video card doesn't help.

Disabling ACPI doesn't help and a different stick of memory doesn't either.

Your explanation of the memory conflict between the video driver and amdagp.sys driver seems to ring true for my system as well, especially as we both have Radeons and I think practically the same chipset too.

Any help/hints much appreciated!!!

I have the same problem !!!

I have the same problem !!!

After the logo "Microsoft Windows XP" and the loading bar moving,
the screen goes black,
but while I still see the black screen the windows song comes on: Windows is started but I can't see it !

What is the solution ???

I can start the computer in "safe mode" or "enable vga mode", i can uninstall the video drivers, install them again : When I reboot everything works fine! But only once ! As soon as I restart it's the black screen again.

I run Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates.
My video card is a Intel 82815 with the latest drivers.

I'm lost !! Help please !

Guess I have found some thing !

Hi Guys,

I have the same problem..

I guess this is the problm with SP2.Coz I never had this conflict when I's running XP.

This is my Sys Config :

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model: A7N8X-X
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 409MB used, 837MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Till I read this forum,I though that my AGP card or its drivers are creating these 'blank screens'...blah blah.My AGP card is Nvidia Geforce V7100.After trying many drivers for my card & swapping from 'Standerd PC' to 'Uniprocessor',I couldn't find any results till now.And so...as U can see I opted to Disable my Graphic Card so that I could loging to XP normally.(Otherwise U can loging to SafeMode Only).

Now I could find that people with different graphic card aslo have these problm.So finally the issuse is not with OUR Motherboard,BIOS or AGP.Its with Microsoft !

Though I haven't found out a real solution for this......But I read from some reviews on XP SP3 that they have fixed this problem in SP3.

So plz do try this SP3(url removed) on ur current XP or download n install this XP from...url removed.

As my bandwidth is too low,I couldn't try any of these.So any guys here can make it up....it will be very helpul to all of us here.
So plz do try this & let all of us know the result in detail.

thnkz - prem

Windows XP Service Pack 3 is in beta stage right now & even so only available for MSDN members. Linking to such builds is equivalent to linking to warez software therefore unauthorized.

Sorry

Well,I didn't mean to lead U to pit falls.But we all have same problemz.And there is not much solutions left.We can't use the full potential of our PCs now.And....can't expect much now if this problem is solved.Really fed up.Can't even watch movies in High resolution or run games.
More over I heared that VISTA is having much more AGP driver conflicts.And
they are trying to fix it !
Don't kn wht to do nw.Sorry buddy.:eek:

Just in case anyone is still having problems stumbles upon this thread, I had the same issues and was able to resolve them by making some changes in the BIOS for video related settings.

I had XP Pro w/ SP1. Tried upgrading to SP2 and then the video quit working. Booted into Safe mode and removed SP2 and then booted fine. Tried installing SP3 and had the same "no video" issues on bootup. Removed SP3 and went back to SP1 - booted fine.

I flashed the mb bios and then installed SP3 again - still had video issues on bootup.

Went into BIOS and started changing a few settings for video. Was hoping to try to find a "reset to factory settings" but didn't so had to try manually changing some items and then my PC booted fine. I have done several warm boots and complete power offs - Boots fine and faster now every time.

(Fingers crossed) things will stay this way until I install Windows 7.

Hope this helps someone.

btw - I have a ASUS P4P800 SE motherboard with a Radeon 9550SE video card. The card has 128MB of RAM and in the BIOS I found a setting that was set to only 64MB of video RAM. I changed that to 128MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back