Fujifilm announces XF 50mm lens with f/1.0 aperture

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The new Fujifilm XF 50mm f/1.0 R WR lens is a portrait-length prime (fixed length) lens that’ll likely appeal to low-light shooters and those with the sort of creative eye to take advantage of that shallow depth of field.

Fujifilm has introduced what it is calling the world’s first f/1.0 aperture lens with autofocus capability for a mirrorless digital camera.

The lens features 12 elements, including one aspherical element to cut back on spherical aberration and two ED elements that limit color fringing and chromatic aberrations, in nine groups. The Super EBC coating is said to suppress flare and ghosting for improved contrast when shooting in bright or backlight conditions while the weather sealing should allow for shooting in and out of the elements (no pun intended).

Compatible with Fujifilm’s X Series, the lens uses a 77mm filter, measures 3.43 inches x 4.07 inches and tips the scales at 1.86 pounds.

Several publications and stores have already posted previews of the XF 50mm f/1.0 and based on what we’re seeing thus far, it seems incredibly impressive. Adorama’s shoot is especially appealing as they used busted monitors to serve as makeshift lighting.

Interested parties can pre-order the Fujifilm XF 50mm f/1.0 R WR lens from outlets like B&H Photo and Adorama for $1,495.95 (no camera included).

Look for it to ship later this month.

Permalink to story.

Crop frame lens so bokeh comparable to an f/1.5 lens on a full frame camera, so actually slightly worse than a regular 85mm f/1.4 lens. But this should have lower carry weight so that's a plus.

It is the first AUTOFOCUS 1.0f but not the first 1.0f which was created on a special project back in the 1950's. If memory serves, that first lens cost around $20K to make. I'm really reaching here but I think the lens was made for Alfred Eisenstate for use around the space program .... I'll have to check it out in the Time-Life series of books on photography, that's where I remember if from.

Canon did a 50mm f1.0 autofocus for mirrored.
The guy in the first video raved about shooting just from the light of monitors - yeah 2 great big monitors close to her the models very still face - how bad is the sensor? - When I got my D750 2015 - I could shoot in a very dark room - I was amazed it could see it colour still - sure there was noise - but the light sources were just thinks like leds on AV equipment

Anyway for the right person is probably niffy

Crop frame lens so bokeh comparable to an f/1.5 lens on a full frame camera, so actually slightly worse than a regular 85mm f/1.4 lens.
I admit I'm not a camera guru, but I believe mounting the lens on a crop sensor doesn't change the bokeh visually ... it does, of course, crop off the edges of it, as your FOV is smaller.

In any case, can't you get an adaptor and mount Fuji lenses on a full frame camera?

I admit I'm not a camera guru, but I believe mounting the lens on a crop sensor doesn't change the bokeh visually ... it does, of course, crop off the edges of it, as your FOV is smaller.

In any case, can't you get an adaptor and mount Fuji lenses on a full frame camera?

Yes, you can do that but you almost always get heavy vignetting, depending on the design of the lens. In the worst cases, you just get a fully illuminated circle in the middle of your picture with black edges. You need to crop the image to get a full pic and will generally end up with the same image scale as with a crop sensor camera body.

Here's a good example:

TS560x560~2440978.jpg

Yes, you can do that but you almost always get heavy vignetting...You need to crop the image to get a full pic...
Right, but even in the worst case where you crop back to the FOV of an f1.5, you still get the depth of field of a true f1.0, no? Admittedly, you may crop out much of your wonderful bokeh, but unless your subject is filling the entire field, you can work around that.

It does lessen the blur effect, because you have to get further away to obtain the same framing, hence the depth of field is increased.
The quality of the bokeh should be the same.
Fpr low light and shallow depth of field, full frame is still king,and, as long as the laws of physics still stand, the chances of if changing are 0.

Back