Future Windows 10 update to bring several visual tweaks

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft is expected to launch a major update to Windows 10, known as Threshold Wave 2, sometime in November, bringing a collection of new features and non-bug-fix updates to the operating system.

Leaked images from Windows 10 builds currently being tested by Microsoft reveal some of the visual updates the company is planning for Wave 2. The updates and tweaks aren't anything major at this stage, but it shows that Microsoft want to make Windows 10's style more cohesive, removing legacy elements from previous versions and ensuring a consistent experience across the board.

One of the changes the screenshots show is a new set of icons that apply throughout the operating system, finally replacing all of the old icons that have been used since Windows 7. It's not a big change, but it makes Windows 10 look and feel more modern.

The update will also bring pleasant opening and closing animations to Windows Store apps; previously these animations only applied to x86 desktop apps, which resulted in a somewhat disjointed experience. A new right-click context menu will be implemented as well, using a design very similar to that seen in the latest Insider Preview build.

Threshold Wave 2 is also expected to bring feature updates to Windows 10, although it's not clear what these new features will be. We're still expecting Microsoft to update their Edge browser with extension support later this year, so that's one feature we'll likely see in Wave 2, among others.

Permalink to story.

I would imagine they'll fit a few decent fixes into it among the consistent UI tweaks. I want Indexing fixed, but it seems like that won't happen for awhile still.

These changes should have been done with Windows 10's release not now...
Agree. I guess they needed to keep some stuff for later so they can justify their forced and incremental updates. Still I think they will add a couple of fixes and that memory menagement feature.

Ugh.... I'm sick of the sea of white. White title bars are the worst. This needs to change M$, stop taking customizability away from the OS or we're all gonna leave. That is the main selling point for techies, if the customizability goes away, so do we.

Hate this flat graphic style of GUIs in recent years
I actually prefer it because it makes things look clean and well organised. it's also much easier for MS to create an UI that scales well with high DPI if it's simpler.
I'm glad they stopped using unneeded "bling".

LOL that is all W10 is is a lot of fluff and bling. The 'new' start menu is horrible. Get rid of those stupid *** big clunky tiles and give me back my CLEAN SIMPLE and EASY TO USE text links. Under all programs get rid of that horrid new interface that groups and sorts everything in a set way that I cannot organize. W10 may be pretty and it is fast but it has almost ZERO user user flexibility at all.

I DESPISE the entire flat look and feel to UI and web pages. It is VERY unappealing and extremely difficult to use. It look like a jumbled clutter of unrelated mess most of the time. It is extremely counter intuitive as well.
3d effects were added to graphics for a reason, IMO. the illusion of depth tends to make things easier to navigate and group together and understand.

3d effects were added to graphics for a reason, IMO. the illusion of depth tends to make things easier to navigate and group together and understand.
A feature which is still there. Nobody used the 3D graphics for that. it's all in the shadows and color differences. each window still casts a big shadow behind it so you can see which is which.

Come on people. You are all tech-savvy guys/girls. Why the hell do you care about the cosmetic look of win10 (which is the correct choice, only a few minority actually liked the win7 look). you switch to a new OS not because of how looks, but because it offers better performance and newer or better features. Ironically the first thing people will notice is how much snappier the new UI feels.

You have no idea how much easier it is now to use the new CMD window. It helps me create builds for my work so much faster and I actually manage to squeeze more RAM out of the system to help with the server and big programs.
not to mention so many other quality of life improvements for the task manager, file transfer windows, boots times, etc. and win7 can't aven compare when it comes to battery life for my laptop.

I'm guessing "visual tweaks" equates to them actually finishing the job on the UI to have a consistent look and feel as at present it has the same Frankenstein's monster look as its predecessor with at least two distinct UI styles...

"Threshold Wave 2 is also expected to bring feature updates to Windows 10, although it's not clear what these new features will be."

Please go on, be vague on what these new features will be.

A feature which is still there. Nobody used the 3D graphics for that. it's all in the shadows and color differences. each window still casts a big shadow behind it so you can see which is which.

Come on people. You are all tech-savvy guys/girls. Why the hell do you care about the cosmetic look of win10 (which is the correct choice, only a few minority actually liked the win7 look). you switch to a new OS not because of how looks, but because it offers better performance and newer or better features. Ironically the first thing people will notice is how much snappier the new UI feels.

You have no idea how much easier it is now to use the new CMD window. It helps me create builds for my work so much faster and I actually manage to squeeze more RAM out of the system to help with the server and big programs.
not to mention so many other quality of life improvements for the task manager, file transfer windows, boots times, etc. and win7 can't aven compare when it comes to battery life for my laptop.
Woah woah deep breaths I love windows 10 I'm not at all complaining about its functionality, I'm just commenting on my preference to the times of not-quite-old-but-old-in-tech-years. Fortunately windows did a better job with flat graphics than iOS and many other GUIs do.

I guess it's asking too much to have an incorporated gui customization utility. Like remove title bars, employ the use of shortcut keys. Allow options for Start Menu. Offer the ability to show taskbar with winkeypress; reclaim more of the desktop [autohide works, but at risk of a misclick.]. F11 is nice, but if you use 2+ apps on one monitor, it wont work.

"Threshold Wave 2 is also expected to bring feature updates to Windows 10, although it's not clear what these new features will be."

Please go on, be vague on what these new features will be.
here's a few: Edge will get a big update, the UI will get a big update, the memory management system will get an update, they will add enterprise features (like Enterprise Data Protection (EDP) and others ) and many other under the hood changes. these are just things that we already know about. new features will be revealed once they feel that they can ship them with TH2.

These changes should have been done with Windows 10's release not now...
Agree. I guess they needed to keep some stuff for later so they can justify their forced and incremental updates. Still I think they will add a couple of fixes and that memory menagement feature.

The whole point about Windows 10 is that they don't have to release features on day 1 since the OS will be constantly evolving. The notion of "if it wasn't in it at launch, they suck" no longer applies here ... I'm sure we will see constant changes like this throughout the evolution of Win 10. They haven't been shy on this topic either, it is a constant point of discussion on their part. To be fair though, this could just be a small demonstration of the way that they update various OS elements now vs before ... since this method of updating is new to the Windows ecosystem.

here's a few: Edge will get a big update, the UI will get a big update, the memory management system will get an update, they will add enterprise features (like Enterprise Data Protection (EDP) and others ) and many other under the hood changes. these are just things that we already know about. new features will be revealed once they feel that they can ship them with TH2.

Thanks, Is it safe to assum TH2 is free?

Back