Games capped at 60 frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tha General

HD2400 PCI, Vista 32bit, 8.2 Special Visiontek Drivers. I ask this question on another forum a while back, but thought i would ask here, also because the issue still exist. Its not a bad issue, i was just wondering why alot of games which i am playing will not go over 60 frames.
I have V-sync off in CCC, and i tried other drivers, and ATT, same thing. GTA 3 did the same thing, it wouldn't go over 60, however when it does over 60 the game plays horrible, so i had to keep turn on frame limiter and it runs at 30 frames and plays normal. Timeshift which i have now does the same thing, 1280x1024 low to high settings, 30-60 frames, but it never goes higher than 60.

So anyways, is this a Vista issue or something?

It's not a vista issue - more likely a vsync issue within the game if you have it off in the CCC. Remember that games often have controls for vsync as well. If the is no option for it in the game then it's probably programming within the game to enforce it.

None of the games i am playing that is capped at 60 has those options, but one of them GTA 3 does, but when i turn it off, it goes between 40 and 80 frames, but the game starts to become unstable and unplayable, so thats why i put on frame limiter, which sets the frames to 30 and the game plays just fine.

I think it is a vista/2400HD issue, because never happen in xp or w2k before. My 8400gs doesn't do it, but i was just wondering thats all. Its not a big deal, because 60 frames is more than perfect.

Some games cap the frame rate at 60 FPS. I was playing Max Payne 2 demo and it capped at 60 FPS. If so, then you can't do anything about it, except try to hack the game code yourself to improve the framerate. 60 FPS is very good, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

It only seem to happen with my 2400hd in vista. Never happens with XP and the 2400hd
Also using my 8400gs right now, it does not happen at all. But ya 60 is fine lol.

I have a similar issue with counter strike source.

If i disable the vsync in Nvidia control panel, the game will renable it, and i will be limited to 60 fps. the same max refresh rate (60hz) as my monitor at 1440 x 900.

If i disable vsync in the games options i get around 200 fps..

Luckily most of the games i play have the vsync option in game.

I know this does not really help your situation, But im just pointing out i have the same issues with nvidia drivers.. so maybe it is vista??

BTW: Im running vista x64.

So in other words, you have to disable it twice. The first time in the drivers and the second in the program itself. This is what I am reading you saying.

Well. It seems to make no diffrence if vsync is set to on or off in the nvidia control panel. it still runs at 60 fps.

Its only the in game option that actually disables vsync.

I would presume that nvidia control panel would have priority over the game, but it dosent.

Problem solve = just forgot to mention, Vista drivers are the problem. XP drivers which i am using on Vista 32bit , games isn't capped anymore and all of them which were cap are moving between 50-145 frames and very smooth.

If i disable the vsync in Nvidia control panel, the game will renable it, and i will be limited to 60 fps. the same max refresh rate (60hz) as my monitor at 1440 x 900.
I would just like to mention that css probably has vsync turned on in the autoexec.cfg, you will have to turn it off there or it will turn vsync back on every time you restart the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back