Games Crash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shocker664

K here is the situation. i just got a new computer, the only old part is the harddrive which is 80 gb.. what i did was just re install xp.. so downloaded gears of war.. and froze.. had the same problem with bioshock. so i formated and installed bioshock that worked.. but gears of war didnt work. so i formated again and it still didnt work lmao! so i dont know whats up with the game plz help! I installed Lost Via Domus recently and same thing happens, t freezes randomly.

Specs :

8600 gts 256mb (XFX)
2.0 dual core cpu 1 mb cache
2 gb ram
p5kpl-vm motherboard (Asus)
160 gb (ide)
stock fan and psu ( 400 w i get 20 amps on 12 v +)

When it freezes the picture freezes and the sound loops and eventually loops fast. sometimes im able to get out of the game and go back. i even once got back in but the screen was messed up. like i could see the design of the person and stuff it was reallllly weird. in the lost game i see pixels around the edges. The thing is, it doesnt restart, i have to restart my computer manually.

Iv tried intalling new drivers, i used driver magician to unistall all drivers then re-install orginal windows drivers, and then i updated. i also got pwoersuite that checked for any errors in registry and stuff, fixed some problems.. still nothing!,

before i play its fine, i dont know whats wrong help!

One more thing.. my friend says it could just be that the game has problems with my video card, maybe its also the fsp , i dono help,

Maxtor 6Y080L0
9 ms
7200 rpm

One of them is about.. 4 years old, the other one, im guessing around the same because its the same model, but i got it from my cousin so i dont know

Going with what raybay may be suspecting run a harddrive diagnostics test on both your Maxtors. Seagate has bought out Maxtor so go to their website and download their free diagniostic utility.

Do a full test and report if there are any errors.

You may even be able to find a Maxtor diagnostices utility online as well.

I used SeeTools and one my harddrive's fails most of the tests, not sure which one because they are both exactly the same but il guess its the older one,

Model: 6Y080L0 Serial:
Serial Number: Y27L0Q8E
Firmware Revision: YAR4
Long DST - Started 2/27/2008 10:45:39 PM
Long DST - FAIL 2/27/2008 10:59:05 PM
SMART - Pass 2/27/2008 11:29:10 PM
Short DST - Started 2/27/2008 11:32:07 PM
Short DST - FAIL 2/27/2008 11:32:24 PM
Short DST - Started 2/27/2008 11:33:08 PM
Short DST - FAIL 2/27/2008 11:33:24 PM
Identify - Started 2/27/2008 11:35:55 PM
Identify - Pass 2/27/2008 11:36:01 PM
Identify - Started 2/27/2008 11:36:19 PM
Identify - Pass 2/27/2008 11:36:24 PM
Identify - Started 2/27/2008 11:37:59 PM
Identify - Pass 2/27/2008 11:38:04 PM
Short Generic - Started 2/27/2008 11:38:33 PM
Short Generic - Pass 2/27/2008 11:38:53 PM
Long Generic - Started 2/27/2008 11:39:02 PM
Long Generic - Aborted2/27/2008 11:40:12 PM
Long DST - Started 2/27/2008 11:41:37 PM
Long DST - FAIL 2/27/2008 11:55:09 PM

Okay, raybay was right on with his suspicion.

First, back up everything that is vital/important/nostagic as soon as possible. Burn CDs/DVDs; use flash drives or external harddrives -- whatever you have. If your harddrive fails and you haven't backed-up your important information you are looking at $200 - $300 cost on average for data recovery.

Second, and I am sure there is an easier way to do this, unhook your power to your slave harddrive and just run it on your master one. Do the reverse next timeand hopefully you can tell which is the bad drive.

Honestly, Maxtors never had a solid reputation. I suggest buying a new harddrive. You can get them fairly inexpensive at New Egg or ZipZoomFly. Make sure if you buy a SATA your motherboard has SATA connections.

k found out which hardrive has the problem.. its the one with windows on it, is there someway to repair it or something?

Hard drives are nearly impossible to repair, but a very good user or technician, can save the data that is not on the damaged sectors.
Do not use it again... as each additional access of the drive could be the last.
It is very likely that most data can be saved... and perhaps most email. But the drive is a goner.

Wow im so happy i (HopeFully) Figured out this problem! thx for your help! il post again when i fix the problem ( Get a new HD ) thx again

Well, you will not be a happy camper until you get the new hard drive installed, with all those drivers correctly in place... but that is what makes it fun... but the fun comes much later.

K i got a new harddrive (250 gb sata II western digital) and i installed everything.. and i get the same problem! and it freezes the same exact way !! HELP

i also checked the temperature of the GPU and it was at 59 .. i raised the fan speed to 100% which lowered it to 52-54 and nothing changed .. it still crashed within 5 minutes.

Wow, 52 - 54 celcius is 126 to 130 degrees farenheit!

59c = 138F

No wonder you have been having shut-downs. What is your video card make and manufacture? It sounds like you need to put a whole new different fan on your card.

its XFX 8600 GTS What should the Temperature be? By the way.. the temp now.. running with itunes msn and internet.. 58 C

i have the PSU that came with the case.. its NZXT PF400

+ 3.3 V - 22A , +5 V - 35 A, +12 V 20 A, -5 V - 0.5 A, -12 V - 0.8 A, +5 V5B - 3 A

It could very well be. A bad PSU will cause all kinds of issues and often PSUs that come with cases can be throw aways depending on the make. Just because it says 400 watts doesn't mean it delivers. It would be interesting to know if your PSU is even supplying what it says it supplies.

I would suggest a psu with dual 12v rails. It doesn't appear you are overclocking so something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104034

The 12v rails each supply 18A giving you a total of 36A

Or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052

The 12v rails will supply 29A and that is at an excellent price.

Also: If you only have one fan for your case you need to get another fan.

Before i Start buying more parts.. is there anyway i can test that its my PSU and maybe its just the Mobo? is there a way i can test that???

I don't know about the motherboard, but if you have a multimeter you can test your psu fairly easily. I got a digital Craftsman just a few weeks ago at my local K-Mart for $20.00.

There are about 20 different power supply testers that frun for $8.00 to $25... they test all circuits for both old style and new power supplies... 20 pin and 24 pin. We prefer them over a multimeter, which does not always give the correct values unless you take very special care.
You can see them at Newegg, Directron, Outpost, Cyberguys, and so on.

raybay said:
There are about 20 different power supply testers that frun for $8.00 to $25... they test all circuits for both old style and new power supplies... 20 pin and 24 pin. We prefer them over a multimeter, which does not always give the correct values unless you take very special care.

Aw, nuts! I wish I knew this before I went and bought my multimeter. Thanks for the information raybay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back