Games Keep Crashing System

Vbianco

Hey guys.
Most recently my copy of Arma III has been crashing a lot, usually within 5-10 minutes of gameplay. I have just discovered two other titles which were running fine doing the same IF I leave them idle without any input (ie, keyboard, mouse), this seems to be tied to the fact that somtimes, perhaps 1 in 10, my system decides it doesnt want to wake up from 'sleep' mode.

The crash consists of the game sound playing a few seconds then freezes, screen usually turns black with fragmented graphics last seen in game, before going completely black. A reboot is always required, ctrl alt delete does not work.

My system specs are as follows:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1
BIOS Date: 07/12/12 11:28:38 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
7970HD 3gb GPU
990FX Extreme 4
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16380MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

So far I have tried a memory test (single pass) with the windows diagnostic tool, came through clear.

Checked for virii/malware, seems safe/clear, and cant see any reason why it wouldn't be.

Installed/Uninstalled audio and graphics driver(several times).

Opened up my rig, given a good dose of compressed air.

Reinstalled games in question, checked integrity in Steam.

Monitored temps in both CPU and GPU, both seem to be at acceptable levels.

I am really at a loss of what I should try next, I am getting extremely frustrated, I pray some wisdom here may guide me to a working rig once more!

Try another power supply... What power supply do you have installed?

Hello.

Quite an old one actually, maybe 4-5 years old, perhaps it is dying? All I remember about it was it was high volts/watts and it didn't cost me a lot.
Its not too costly a venture, I will give this a shot, and report back (also with specifics about what PSU I have inside is called).

Edit:
Thinking of grabbing a Corsair TX650, Ive been told it should be more than sufficient for my rig as I have no plans of going Xfire, does this seem like a decent PSU?

Tried using driver sweeper and going back to an old, stable GPU driver, same deal.

Google has shown me people having similar issues with their 7970's after a few months too, hope its not the case, I just purchased it in March, its never been OC'd so perhaps I am eligible for warranty replacement. I might chuck my old GPU in and test that over the weekend, any more assistance will be greatly appreciated!!

Back