Gaming in the UK is now worth more than the country's music and video industries combined

Polycount

Staff
In brief: It's always been clear that the gaming industry is big; both in terms of the number of titles that get pumped out per year the sheer volume of cash publishers rake in. Thanks to a report from the Entertainment Retailers Association, we now have a much more concrete idea of exactly how massive it is.

The report says that the gaming industry in the United Kingdom is now worth an astounding £3.86 billion, which is around $4.85 billion - it was worth less than half that amount a decade ago, according to the BBC. If that number isn't enough to make your head spin, here's some context: gaming in the UK is now worth more than the country's music and video industries combined.

For anybody who regularly plays video games, that probably won't come as much of a surprise. Though movies, TV shows, and music all have their place (and they certainly aren't going anywhere anytime soon), video games effectively combine several different entertainment mediums into one interactive package.

After all, a good game development studio doesn't just have "game designers." It has 2D and 3D artists, musicians, coders, writers, interface designers, and more. Games are massive creative undertakings, just like a feature film or a novel.

According to the ERA, much of the game industry's recent growth can be attributed to the success of three games in particular: Red Dead Redemption 2, FIFA 19, and Call of Duty: Black Ops 4. Each game was a massive critical and commercial hit (FIFA 19's user reviews are another story, though), and all of them offer recurring revenue to their publishers in the form of microtransactions.

Only time will tell whether or not the industry can continue its growth, but for now, the future is looking bright.

Permalink to story.

How is "we won't have time for games" off-topic?

Well first you should probably have completed the rest of that thought before stripping it of context to fit a narrative.

Here's the comment in full

"But after Brexit we will all spend our time routing through bins looking for scraps of food, we won't have time for games :)"

The obvious question you missed is, what does brexit and his ill implied effects have to do with game sales (which is what the article talks about). Do I have to point out that simply saying "games" does not make the comment relevant to the topic.

Nothing, nothing at all.

Well first you should probably have completed the rest of that thought before stripping it of context to fit a narrative.
You are the one stripping the words which I quoted out to make their comment off-topic. The part that I quoted keeps it on-topic.

While we're off- topic, hopefully my USD will be worth more for my trip later this year after these Brexit shenanigans.

Back on-topic, this shows games can be equally as much as a work of art as they can be entertainment.

I'm a bit of an avid gamer myself, I play games with friends all the time, play games pretty much every evening or spare time I have. Something I've noticed here in the UK is quite a lot of my friends are happy to buy either rubbish games (it has explosions so it must be good) or are completely fine with Gambling (Loot Boxes).

I have two younger brothers, my youngest brother will only play free-to-play games (yes Fortnite) and any money he gets from birthday's, paper rounds or Christmas, he basically spends on loot boxes or micro-transactions. From what I gather, most kids his age do this.

I wonder if "Gaming in the UK is now worth more than the country's music and video industries combined" would still be true if you took out all the money Loot Boxes make and instead, put that number where it actually belongs, in the Gambling sector.

All we have as consumers is the gaming companies love of money and desire to protect their brand.
so if you are unhappy (loot boxes, pay to win) DO NOT buy their games and also complain on every form of media you use, heck, write the company a actual paper letter telling them how disappointed you are, won't buy their product unless things change and that you inform all media and friends the same. Maybe, just maybe things might change.

But after Brexit we will all spend our time routing through bins looking for scraps of food, we won't have time for games :)
In case anyone thinks I'm being too political, it was a joke. We will do what we have always done and muddle through, but a bit worse than usual for a while.

Back