Windows 11 23H2 update is affecting gaming performance, but Microsoft says there's a workaround

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? Microsoft rolled out the Windows 11 23H2 update earlier this year, bringing a myriad of new features and fixes. However, some users who installed the update are now complaining that it significantly reduced their PC's performance, even after performing a clean install.

An affected user, Anant Acharya, complained about the reduced performance on the official Microsoft forums. He says the problem cropped up on his 2020 HP Pavilion laptop, which was a high-performance device before the recent update and could clock high frame rates in most games. According to Acharya, the laptop could hit over 130 FPS in games like Valorant, CS:GO, and Grand Theft Auto 5 running at high-ultra settings, and about 80-90 FPS in AAA titles like Forza Horizon 5 running at high settings.

However, after the 23H2 update, he started noticing sudden stutters and drastic FPS drops in the same games. He added that the problems were not due to thermal throttling, as the device didn't register any change in operating temperatures following the update. Moreover, since the laptop is always used in an air-conditioned room and with a cooling pad, the issues are likely software-related.

Another affected user is Redditor u/BNSoul, who claims that the 23H2 clean install is between 5 and 8 percent slower than 22H2 in almost all benchmarks. In addition, games are also experiencing random stuttering and other performance-related issues. While the complainant initially thought that the only way to get back peak performance on his PC was to roll back to 22H2, Microsoft has since suggested a workaround that could fix the issues without having to uninstall the update.

According to the company, users should reset Microsoft Defender through a couple of PowerShell commands, reboot their PC, and then enable CPU Virtualization in BIOS. Next, they will need to open Windows Security and enable Memory Integrity under the Core Isolation settings. Once the computer is restarted after making the aforementioned changes, Hypervisor will be running and Virtualization Security will be enabled. This should resolve the performance-related issues reported by the users.

Thankfully, the fix seems to be working, as the Redditor claims that their PC is back to normal after making the suggested changes. GPU benchmarks are now 3 to 5 percent faster, while CPU benchmarks are back to 22H2 levels for the most part.

Permalink to story.

At the same time re-enabling memory integrity hurts VirtualBox performance.
And yet there's this thing called Hyper-V which is a Type 1 hypervisor versus what VirtualBox is which is a Type 2. Type 1 hypervisors allow your VM to run much closer to the bare metal silicon than Type 2 hypervisors thus provide much faster performance inside the VM.

And yet there's this thing called Hyper-V which is a Type 1 hypervisor versus what VirtualBox is which is a Type 2. Type 1 hypervisors allow your VM to run much closer to the bare metal silicon than Type 2 hypervisors thus provide much faster performance inside the VM.
The issue I run into with that is VMware has performance issues as well unless you disable this one setting which isn't available to disable in VMware Player. So if you want that performance you have to buy the full version vs VirtualBox which is free and doesn't penalize you performance wise for using a free version.

I can't remember what the setting was but I know VMware wants you about it when in VMware Player despite there being no way to disable it in Player.

The issue I run into with that is VMware has performance issues as well unless you disable this one setting which isn't available to disable in VMware Player. So if you want that performance you have to buy the full version vs VirtualBox which is free and doesn't penalize you performance wise for using a free version.

I can't remember what the setting was but I know VMware wants you about it when in VMware Player despite there being no way to disable it in Player.
Cool Story about VMware. How about Hyper-V like @trparky was talking about?

Especially since Hyper-V is free and part of Windows 11 Pro. No need to pay, you already have it.
Sorry about that. I completely misunderstood what you meant. I knew VMware Player and workstation were supposed to support Hyper-V. I completely forgot about native Hyper-V manager in windows. I'll mess around with it when I get home. Back in the day I did most.of my VMs from Linux. These days I just noob it up in windows so the easiest option was VirtualBox.

What threw me off is the last time I glanced at it I noticed it the word "server" and figured it was for managing remote VMs. Doing more digging TIL I can use it for local VM. >.>

Last edited:
Sorry about that. I completely misunderstood what you meant. I knew VMware Player and workstation were supposed to support Hyper-V. I completely forgot about native Hyper-V manager in windows. I'll mess around with it when I get home. Back in the day I did most.of my VMs from Linux. These days I just noob it up in windows so the easiest option was VirtualBox.
OK, that's fine. I use Hyper-V all the time, I have a virtualized installation of Windows 11 where I can test crap in it. I even take advantage of the snapshot capabilities so if something goes wrong in the VM, big deal... I'll restore the snapshot and be on my merry way.

OK, that's fine. I use Hyper-V all the time, I have a virtualized installation of Windows 11 where I can test crap in it. I even take advantage of the snapshot capabilities so if something goes wrong in the VM, big deal... I'll restore the snapshot and be on my merry way.
Nice. Thanks for the info. When I get off work I'm going to uninstall VirtualBox since I won't need that anymore since it seems like Hyper-V has all the things I actually want. I'm a little hyped that I will be able to have WSL again. I was bummed that I had to give that up for vbox.

Edit: Uninstalled vbox and setup a Hyper-V environment, then installed Arch because yeah.... I wish I actually looked into Hyper-V back when I initially checked it out. I initially checked it out, saw it said "connect to server" and closed it. I was 1 more click away from finding out it would handle local VM's too. >.>

Last edited:
This is not good. I use VirtualBox all the time and its performance is very poor when Hyper-V is enabled.

VirtualBox is designed and optimised around VT-x/AMD-V and switches to something called NEM (Native Execution Mode) when it detects that Hyper-V claimed the virtualisation layer. For me, this causes VirtualBox to run about half the speed at best when compared to VT-x/AMD-V. If anybody knows a way to make it run decently under Hyper-V let me know?

I'm honestly amazed at how many people still use VirtualBox. I dumped it many years ago for Hyper-V or VMware because they are just better (and in Hyper-V's case, free).

Why are you guys still using VirtualBox?

This is not good. I use VirtualBox all the time and its performance is very poor when Hyper-V is enabled.

VirtualBox is designed and optimised around VT-x/AMD-V and switches to something called NEM (Native Execution Mode) when it detects that Hyper-V claimed the virtualisation layer. For me, this causes VirtualBox to run about half the speed at best when compared to VT-x/AMD-V. If anybody knows a way to make it run decently under Hyper-V let me know?
Get rid of it for God's sake. There's much better solutions to be used. VirtualBox had it's day way back when because there was nothing better to use. Today, there's much better ways of doing things. Drag yourself out of the 1990s and come into the 2020s and use a better solution.
I'm honestly amazed at how many people still use VirtualBox. I dumped it many years ago for Hyper-V or VMware because they are just better (and in Hyper-V's case, free).

Why are you guys still using VirtualBox?
Exactly.

At this point, I was surprised that VirtualBox was still alive. Even Linux has a better hypervisor built into the kernel (KVM) than stupid VirtualBox.

Where can one find the fix ? I was hoping it would be linked in the article ...
Search for "u/BNSoul" and you'll easily find the link to the reddit page. Basically you'll have to run a couple of powersell commands as admin, then enable intel vt-x / amd svm in the pc bios and finally enable memory integrity in windows settings.
I performed quick tests using cpuz's benchmark utility before and after trying this workaround and apparently my computer's performance was indeed being hindered by update 23h2 (about 200/300 points) and I didn't even know it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Glad I'm off Windows. Why should Microsoft Defender use LESS resources running in a hypervisor? I mean if it works it works but it defies logic. As a Linux user since 1993, I don't think I've had a single problem pop up in Slackware, Gentoo, or Ubuntu where (either finding a fix myself, or finding it online) once I found the fix it wasn't like "Oh, that makes sense why that would help."

Back