Gaming Mice Roundup 2013: 12-Way Shootout

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/728-gaming-mice-comparison/]https://www.techspot.com/review/728-gaming-mice-comparison/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Nice round up. After considering a few of these options, including the new Logitech G602 wireless gaming mouse and a few of the Corsair models I ended up with one not listed in the review. I've used Logitech MX Revolution and Logitech Performance MX models for years and fancied a change, something with a little higher DPI and more buttons. In the end I've ended up with a Madcatz/Cyborg/Saitek M.M.O 7 mouse. So far very happy with the choice as it is very customizable, which is of importance when making it comfortable to use as I want to try to reduce the chance of RSI/CT.

For future reviews, I'd like it very much if they included some information on how the sensors track, since that's the primary purpose of the mouse.

Nice roundup for sure, I think the G700s would be the mouse of choice for me. I use the Performance MX (also known as the MX Revolution) and the G700s looks like the gaming version. The battery life does sounds like a small issue though.

For future reviews, I'd like it very much if they included some information on how the sensors track, since that's the primary purpose of the mouse.

I think that is what he was referring to every time accuracy was mentioned. That said how would you really compare one mouse to the other, as in how the sensors track? Of course I am no expert on the subject, just interested.

Seems hard to do since the sensitivity, acceleration, polling rate and so on really impact this and can completely change a mouse. When I first plugged my MX in it was terrible (for me), took me about an hour of trial and error before I found the right settings that made it move the way I wanted. I have configured a few other mice to my system as well and while they all start off feeling quite different I can usual tune them to a point where they all move in much the same way.

I am not really sure either :(
But the usual subjects would be things like does the sensor have acceleration, and if so how much positive/negative? Lift off distance? Angle snapping/correction? Excessive smoothing algorithms? Maximum tracking speed?
An alarming (to me) number of mice don't track perfectly at all so I'm really curious about which mice actually track properly.

I am not really sure either :(
But the usual subjects would be things like does the sensor have acceleration, and if so how much positive/negative? Lift off distance? Angle snapping/correction? Excessive smoothing algorithms? Maximum tracking speed?

An alarming (to me) number of mice don't track perfectly at all so I'm really curious about which mice actually track properly.

If you don’t know then how should Chris ;) In all seriousness though all those things you spoke of all customizable on pretty much every mouse, every mouse worth being called a gaming mouse anyway. Given Chris didn’t say any didn’t track well or had the problems you speak of there is a good chance they all worked well, but I think he said that.

To bad I was missing the MadCatz R.A.T. mice.
I have one and they are awesome,...

I got the Logitech G700 and I find it's uncomfortable to use unless I have a gel wrist support mouse pad; maybe because I have small hands. Just a thought for those interested in getting it.
Other than that, I like how you can plug and unplug the charging cable seamlessly and continue to game.
The software that comes with it is highly customizable.
Been putting this mouse to the test for the past 2 years and so far it lives up to the punishment of hardcore gaming.

In regards to the complaint about the Logitech G700's cord being too stiff, I had the same issue, until I replaced the cord with a thinner one. I just used one that came with my smartphone, and now when I do use it wired it's no more stiff than my other mouse.

Nice roundup for sure, I think the G700s would be the mouse of choice for me. I use the Performance MX (also known as the MX Revolution) and the G700s looks like the gaming version. The battery life does sounds like a small issue though.
The Revolution actually has some different, and in many peoples opinions, better features. The button behind the mouse wheel isn't a freespin/click toggle but programmable. On the side was a jog wheel mechanism that I miss as I used it a lot for games. Also the body isn't as high at the back as the Performance MX, too a little getting used to it. I'll see how I get on with the MMO7, might sell it and end up going back to Logitech but so far so good, other than their software not supporitng auto profile switching by detecting games being launched.

G700s looked ugly so I avoided it, but then I ended up buying something that looks like a transformer! If I go back to Logitech it would be the G602 I'd be considering, just wish it had recharge socket instead of having to switch batteries out. Perhaps it's due to reduced circuitry and components to keep the power usage and weight of the mouse down.

Would have liked to have seen the CM Storm Sentinel Advance included, it's a damn solid mouse.

Fantastic overview though :)

I've had the CM Storm, which lasted 2 years before fully dying and the MadCatz RAT 5 & 7 Both of those bailed in less then 3 months each. The store I bought it from is a national computer chain, they are dropping MadCAtz because of all the issues.. ( thanks for telling me before I bough 2 of the f'in things..) Picked up the G500s and haven't looked back.

If you don’t know then how should Chris ;) In all seriousness though all those things you spoke of all customizable on pretty much every mouse, every mouse worth being called a gaming mouse anyway. Given Chris didn’t say any didn’t track well or had the problems you speak of there is a good chance they all worked well, but I think he said that.

There certainly are issues with some of these mice, I know right off the bat that several of those mice use the Avago 9500 and 9800, which have a tiny bit of native acceleration, and all mice have a minimum lift off distance.
In addition, I know as a fact that every DPI setting above 5700 on the Sensei is interpolated meaning at 11400 DPI it skips every other pixel.
Also there's still a fair amount of mice being sold these days that have angle snapping that cannot be turned off.

All I want is a mouse that won't start double-clicking within a year and if it is going to cost three times the price of a cheap one, make that three years.

Serious question, what makes the buttons on these mice different than that of a cheaper mice? With my eyes giving me issues, I hope I didn't intentionally skim over the answer.

Naga is the best all rounder if you are playing MMOs or multi-keybind games. The 14' version has mechanical keys which is a huge plus as well.

The Corsair M95 seems good for FPS gaming as well as the Cyborg Rat with the aim button to reduce sensitivity.

All I want is a mouse that won't start double-clicking within a year and if it is going to cost three times the price of a cheap one, make that three years.

Serious question, what makes the buttons on these mice different than that of a cheaper mice? With my eyes giving me issues, I hope I didn't intentionally skim over the answer.
Cliff, I've got a couple of Logitech Revolution MX mice that are worn looking but still work. They must be a good 5+ years old. Never had any button issues with any of them. I had a charging issue with one Logitech product and they just sent me out a replacement in exchange for posting the wireless dongle/adapter from the malfunctioning one back to them. I'd recommend Logitech.

As to the difference in price. Quality/more expensive/harder wearing components. Higher DPI more accurate laser/optical tracking, software/drivers for support of advanced features. Like many components microswitches can be rated for how many uses they should last for. As you go up in price they have longer life expectancies. Also contact methods and materials, lots of things differ between the cheapest and most expensive.

Naga is the best all rounder if you are playing MMOs or multi-keybind games. The 14' version has mechanical keys which is a huge plus as well.

The Corsair M95 seems good for FPS gaming as well as the Cyborg Rat with the aim button to reduce sensitivity.

You clearly have never tried the Logitech G600 MMO Mouse. You can actually customize all of the buttons, it has an additional third trigger button, you can adjust the DPI on the fly and the buttons are angled in such a way that you would have a hard time figuring out what button your finger is on. If that isn't enough, you can even customize the color of the buttons.

Sorry, but the Razer Naga is for people with really tiny hands or for people that just don't like flexibility to customize. It's decent for entry level amateurs but for those that want the most out of their MMO gaming experience the Logitech G600 is the only way to go.

I've been loving my Logitech G600 lately. That thumb keypad comes in handy for CAD and a few other utilities that I have it customized for, but it really shines in certain games. Since I got in on the pre-launch of Space Engineers (Minecraft on steroids in space!) I've got those keys programmed to do the X, Y, Z rotation of parts as I'm building. So much less cumbersome than having to take my hands off the mouse constantly to hit the keyboard shortcuts.

I didn't like the original Razer Naga products, because the thumb keys were flat and it made for a challenge to feel what keys your thumb was resting on. The redesign for the 14 model finally addresses that, and I suppose I would have been more likely to try one if I didn't already have my G600 (which has strategically angled key rows to help you feel your way around).

Omron switches are generally considered the best, longevity or otherwise. Have you tried a mouse with those? If not maybe it's worth taking a look at. I've not tried them myself and I've had my current mouse for about 6 years without issues with clicking.

Having destroyed 2 Logitec G7's in 6 months I have since moved to cheapest MS mouses available and for some strange reason their buttons won't fail my furious fingers.

So maybe durability should be an issue in tests like these, especially so if the mouse costs ~100$.

Omron switches are generally considered the best, longevity or otherwise.
I honestly don't know which mice have which switches. In the past I have only bought cheap mice that were available at the time. However over the years, I am growing tired of changing them out because of frustration over button control.

The mouse I am currently using is Gigabyte M6880 Laser Gaming Mouse. It doesn't say anything about the type of switches used.

So an Omron switch is what I should be looking at for my next mouse purchase?

Edit:
Maybe I could buy the switch and upgrade my mouse. LOL
2X OMRON Micro Switch Microswitch D2FC-F-7N for Mouse
41RZPlfLCYL._SY300_.jpg

Just wondering why it doesn't include the most popular mice like G400s, the new Death Adder, Ouroboro, and RAT 7/9. it seems a mouse round up without the most popular gaming mice is a bit of a miss.

Back