Gaming PC New Build Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

the grip

I know that this is asked all the time, but I really want to help my son and this forum always has the best advise to give. My son is redoing his computer and I wanted to help him make sure he was getting the best products for the money. He is a heavy gamer and wants to have the best performance for that purpose. He is what he is thinking about:

XFX nForce 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard

Intel Core2 Quad Q6700 2.66ghz 8mb Cache, 1066FSB Motherboard

OCZ SLI 2048mb PC16000 DDR3 2000mhz Memory All for $580.00

XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 SLI Ready Video Card - $99.00
or
BFG GeForce GTX280, OC Edition w/ 1G GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 SLI Ready - $440.00

He already has a Fantech Aeroflow FX120 CPU Cooler / A good DVD player / a Antech Cooling Case / and a Rosewill Turbo Series 550W PSU.

He is still deciding on a Hard Drive, but I thought maybe the WD Veloociraptor VR150 300GB 10Krpm.
Thanks for all the advise. I know this question probably gets old, but I want to make sure that he get the best computer he can. If I left anything out please let me know. Oh by the way he is now running Windows Vista, but I think he'll be going to the new Windows 7.

Gaming Build

Right now he is budgeting around $1300.00 but of course when he goes over it will come back to me.
I had read those reviews on Newegg and that was one of the major reasons that I posted in this forum. I even bookmarked the page so I can show it to him. You know how it is. If I tell him he'll ignore me, but if reliable tech guys tell him he'll believe it. I just really want to help him get the best PC he can for around the above price.
Thanks for your input, and I really hope that guy reads my post too.

One thing you'll want to emphasize to your son and that is those posts at NewEgg are from people who used this very motherboard to build systems with and relaying their experiences.

Gaming Build

That was why I bookmarked it to show him. Does anyone have any suggestions about a mobo that would be better for gaming?

Oh whoops. Fail on my part. I don't know so much about 775 Nvidia motherboards. I'm running a P5N32-E SLI, but that's based on an old chipset (680i SLI).

its an older chipset, but its a 775 mobo, it would support this quad. If he's not overclocking, he wouldnt have to spend much money on a mobo.

gaming build

Thank you for all the input....is the mobo the only thing he needs to change to make it better?

You are spending too much on the motherboard, CPU and video card. Also, the PSU you already have is the weakest link in the entire system, so to speak.

You should try these parts instead:
Grand Total = $1297.81, not taking into account the rebates and shipping. This PC will chew through anything you throw at it, and with a cooler like the Thermaltake Ultra-120 eXtreme, you can easily OC the CPU to 4GHz and above.

Gaming Build

Rage thank you so much for the advice. I gave your list to my son and told him that you were the expert. I think he is going to follow exactly what you suggested. I'll let you know how everything turns out, but I think he is going to be very pleased.

Thanks again.

You are very welcome. Just make sure you get a nice case to complement the build. I recommend any case from the Cooler Master Stacker series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back