Gang hijacks truck carrying $6.6 million worth of Apple products

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Thanks to their high prices, Apple products have long been an enticing target for thieves. But instead of one of its stores being robbed, as is usually the case, a gang in the UK hijacked a truck and stole £5 million (around $6.6 million) worth of the company’s goods.

Police said the incident took place in the UK county of Northamptonshire on November 10. The gang tied up the driver and security guard before driving the vehicle a short distance and transferring all 48 pallets of products to their own truck, leaving the hostages behind. The items were later moved into a third vehicle about 10 miles away.

Officers are now appealing for witnesses and anyone “who may have been offered any Apple products for sale in unusual circumstances, or who knows of anyone who is selling such items at low-cost prices.”

A wide range of Apple’s products were hijacked. Among the stolen items were iPhone 11 handsets, Apple Watches, iPads, AirPods, and charging devices.

Back in June, iPhones stolen in lootings of US Apple stores amid protests over George Floyd’s death showed messages that read: “This device has been disabled and is being tracked. Local authorities will be alerted.” It’s unclear whether the recently hijacked goods are tracked or if the products will be usable.

Reports of Apple stores being hit by thieves go back a long way. In 2013, armed robbers stole $1.3 million in merchandise from a location in Paris, France, and there were instances of people walking into stores dressed like employees in 2016 and walking off with iPhones. In 2018, another smash-and-grab on a California store was caught on video. The state later charged 17 people in connection with the spate of robberies.

Image credit: Jevanto Productions and rangizzz

Permalink to story.

"anyone who is selling such items at low-cost prices.”

that would never happen. those thieves probably have shipped the products outside EU where it will be sold again for way over MSRP in the first place.

rockstar should've used this story to make a new heist for GTA V.

“ “This device has been disabled and is being tracked. Local authorities will be alerted.”....Isn’t this a blatant violation of the thieve’s privacy rights?!?!?!....according to Apple, that is......

And it'll all be traced back to an eastern European employee at the shipping company.

While it was hijacked in the UK, you can bet the goods will be shipped to Asian distribution where they can change out codes, etc. to make the phone's work properly. Frankly, considering the price/cost for these items I'm very surprised it hasn't happened until now .... makes me wonder (out loud) if the drivers were part of the pinch .....

Imagine a company so big and so powerful that this is like a pin prick to them.

Those devices can't easily be activated so they'll end up being used for parts.

When they catch the thieves, they should find out which schools they went to as children, to find out why the schools didn't succeed in training them to be honest, law-abiding citizens. Also, sequence their DNA, to find out if there is a genetic abnormality that made such behavior possible.
I mean, really. If we don't make an effort, how will we ever wipe out crime like we wiped out smallpox?

When they catch the thieves, they should find out which schools they went to as children, to find out why the schools didn't succeed in training them to be honest, law-abiding citizens. Also, sequence their DNA, to find out if there is a genetic abnormality that made such behavior possible.
I mean, really. If we don't make an effort, how will we ever wipe out crime like we wiped out smallpox?
Sounds odd, but why would a Government want to wipe out crime? Just imagine the amount of unemployed Police, solicitors judges, prison officers etc etc.

And it'll all be traced back to an eastern European employee at the shipping company.
While it was hijacked in the UK, you can bet the goods will be shipped to Asian distribution where they can change out codes, etc. to make the phone's work properly. Frankly, considering the price/cost for these items I'm very surprised it hasn't happened until now .... makes me wonder (out loud) if the drivers were part of the pinch .....
So, Asia or Eastern Europe? Which one is it?

£5,000,000 huh? What's that now - about 1000 new iphone 12's?
A few of their wheels for Mac Pros.

Back