Gears of War 4 will come with a host of PC-only features

midian182

Staff member

The fourth installment in the excellent Gears of War series is almost upon us, and it’s going to have the honor of being the first game in the Xbox Play Anywhere program. But this doesn’t mean it will look identical on both the PC and Xbox One; Gears developer The Coalition has promised that GOW 4 will come with a host of PC-exclusive features.

Microsoft announced its Xbox Play Anywhere initiative at this year’s E3. It allows participating games to be played on both Xbox One and PC when bought digitally, and syncs save files and achievements across both platforms.

With Gears of War 4, there was the worry that it would suffer many of the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) limitations seen in the recent Xbox One to PC title Quantum Break. According to Mike Rayner, The Coalition’s technical director, this won't be the case.

Speaking in an interview with Eurogamer, Rayner said: "Our focus on PC is to deliver a highly optimized, customizable experience first and foremost."

These PC-only upgrades include the single-player mode not being locked to 30 frames per second, dynamic resolution support, increased texture resolution (up to 4K for some groups), and a wide range of video settings.

Additionally, Gears of War 4 will take full advantage of multiple CPU cores, feature mouse/keyboard support, and come with a benchmarking tool. All in all, this should feel like a game made for the PC, rather than another shoddy port.

Gears of War 4 set will release on October 11th, 2016, for Xbox One and PC.

Permalink to story.

My take-away from this? There's no reason they XB1 shouldn't have full k/b and mouse support.

Also, why is the Asian girl toting a Halo rifle..and why is the black guy carrying a baby basket?

My take-away from this? There's no reason they XB1 shouldn't have full k/b and mouse support.

Also, why is the Asian girl toting a Halo rifle..and why is the black guy carrying a baby basket?

It's a video game... and cover art. The more unusual it looks, the more copies it sells. Well that's the theory anyway.

Looks like he is trying to get rid of his kid, putting it downstream the river.

So when they say it will have PC only features they mean that they'll allow me to play with the settings?

I've seen the E3 gameplay... it looked just like gears 3, only worse in terms of gameplay and content. that turret scene was so embarrassing. what were they thinking?

So when they say it will have PC only features they mean that they'll allow me to play with the settings?

Yeah Man! It's gonna make those XB1 guys so jealous, having the ability to adjustment in game details to fit your PCs capabilities. I hear the fan boys now, and the hate that will ensue... I like how mouse and keyboard support falls in to this category, like did they toss around the idea to just not add support for basic PC peripherals? Seriously...

Part of the extended edition title dude, Gears of War 4: Extreme Interracial Polygamy Parenting Rescue

Shame no one will see their efforts but this is probably just marketing anyways.

"The Coalition has promised that GOW 4 will come with a host of PC-exclusive features"

"These PC-only upgrades include the single-player mode not being locked to 30 frames per second, dynamic resolution support, increased texture resolution (up to 4K for some groups), and a wide range of video settings."

PC exclusive features such as setting your graphics and not locking fps, wow the effort! How can they market these as exclusive features instead of saying they did the bare minimum needed for decent PC port. You could spent the money they give to pr people to come up with this crap on the game instead. And the 4k wouldn't be priority without xbone scorpion, they just make it to support that while they port it on PC.

She's holding the typical shotgun, which has looked the same since the game came out. It's more chunky than the Assault Rifle in Halo imo.

And the guy is holding some thing with a saw blade attached to it. I'll admit it's hard to see and took me a little bit to look at it to see the sparks and blade.

Sure what they did is no new in PC Gaming universe... BUT I must say I'm happy with they stoping this "console exclusive" non-sense... That's not it's end sure, but it's a signal that Microsoft is acknowledging the huge power of PC Gaming and lowering they tone on this "console only" thing...
Everybody with little technical knowledge know that there's no more reason for a game not be ported or natively made for both pc/console, that was all PR witchcraft...

Last Gears of War I played was the original; the only one to come to PC. It was a pretty awful PC game.

Now over 10 years later they want to release the 4th game. Uh, okay, where's the other 2, or 3?

Seeing as it's only for Windows 10 and its special walled garden store ontop of skipping the other games, this won't be terribly successful.

Back