GeForce 4 6800 crashes/hangs randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstriba

I have an nvidia geforce4 6800 AGP card that i have had for a few years now. this problem just started happening after i had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows.
the problem is somewhat random and always happens right when i connect to a server in counter strike source. i will be browsing through my windows explorer and when i double click on a folder (not always the same one) my computer screen goes blank. my case fans are still running but i cant see anything on my monitor. i have to hold the power button untill it shuts down and turn it back on.
i have had the same machine for years now with no problems at all, this just started happening, Although this dosent seem to happen when im in safe mode.

I have read through other forums and i do have updated Bios for my Mobo, i have the latest forceware from nvidia, i have ran memtest 86+ for 27 passes with no errors. I did lose my mobo cd, so i didnt get to run that when i reformatted, but i went to the website for the pm800 m2 and got the new bios, but nothing else. Im at my wits end with this problem. please help me!

I have Windows Xp Home SP2
Mobo: ECS PM800 M2
Card: Nvidia Geforce4 6800 ultra AGP
Memory: 1gb Kingston (removed a 512mb stick)
HD: 80GB Seagate running os and 40GB Seagate
need any other info let me know
Thanks

Hello cstriba,

Have you tried to contact Nvidia?

Have you looked at your card and the slot to see if there is any damage?

there is nothing wrong with the card that i can physically see. i think it has something to do with the mobo drivers, although i just recently installed the latest VIA platform and chipset driver package v517a and i still cant get into a cs source server without my monitor turning off. the green power led goes yellow. i dont know what to do next.

Maybe u should double check your video card driver or just change it to an older version or beta version, play with a few divers see if that helps. Also u might be missing a .dll file thats needed to run the game do u have the latest dx9? Are u getting enough airflow in your case, and is your chipset, or any of your fans, broken sounds like u might have a heat problem.

i forgot to dl the DX9 when i reformatted, so i did that. it still wont run cs source. all my fans are working fine. and the airflow shouldnt be a problem since its the same setup ive had for a long time now with no errors. although, shortly after the reformat i did take my video card out and noticed a lot of dust buildup in the fan. since the fan on the card has many blades i physcially scraped out all the clumps of dust then i hit it with a can of duster, so the fan should actually be running better than before.
ive also tried to DL VGA or AGP drivers for my Mobo and i get an error during installation and tells me to check logfile in windows dir. it said something about not able to open uninstal.exe maybe i need these vga drivers that i cant install.

ok, i removed my nvidia 6800 and plugged my monitor into my onboard video. i installed all the drivers for the onboard and restarted again, then i tried to join a cs source server again and it worked just fine (except for the 5 fps i was getting for using crap onboard) the monitor didnt shut off. i have narrowed it down and it must be the video card and/or the drivers. i will try the programs suggested by kimsland.
also, in reference to kimsland's suggestion to remove nvidia card through add/ramove programs, (ive done this before)should i run driver cleaner pro in safe mode before reinstalling the newest drivers?

Nvidia nfr wouldnt run, i installed it and tried to open it and the hourglass came up for a sec then went away, multiple time. DD 1.2 didnt work at all.

Just check Start-Run->services.msc and scroll down to Windows Installer (mines in manual and not started) but confirm yours is not disabled.

I think, other than some pretty good spyware/virus scans, you should repair Windows as something's a mis there.

kimsland said:
Just check Start-Run->services.msc and scroll down to Windows Installer (mines in manual and not started) but confirm yours is not disabled.

I think, other than some pretty good spyware/virus scans, you should repair Windows as something's a mis there.

i checked that and its manual. i went through the 188 page yweak guide from win xp home by Koroush Ghazi.

could this problem possibly be stemming from an ESD to the video card while cleaning it, or an agp driver i am missing???

also (sorry for double post), besides from Avira AntiVir, AVG anti-spyware, and HijackThis, what "good" programs should i use to possibly get rid of a possible virus?

and...is it possible for a virus to stay on a hard drive that has been formatted more than twice befor a clean install of windows? (it wasnt a low level format)

is it possible for a virus to stay on a hard drive that has been formatted more than twice befor a clean install of windows? (it wasnt a low level format)
Well the answer is Yes (ie un-delete programs, even after format)
But, actually if you have formatted and loaded Windows, then really no. (for the best part format removes all)

If this is a clean install, then realistically you should not need to run any Antivirus or Spyware scan. So it's strange that you would?

then i tried to join a cs source server again and it worked just fine
Ok the drivers were worked out.

could this problem possibly be stemming from an ESD to the video card while cleaning it, or an agp driver i am missing???
Can you explain the error now?
Is it that you cannot load the drivers?
Which drivers, can you paste the link here? I would recommend that you re-download any updated manufacture drivers, and try again

Quote:
then i tried to join a cs source server again and it worked just fine

when i said that i was referring to using the onboard video card, having my 6800 completely unplugged and out of the case.

i can load the Video card Drivers for my Nvidia 6800 just fine. here are the ones i am using http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.16_whql.html

the error is the same, monitor goes black (fans and whatnot are still running), and the green light on it turns yellow) and i must hold the power button to shut down. Although it dosent seem to be happening as much when im just browsing through my files and folders, but it does everytime i try to connect to a game server.

And by AGP driver i am missing, i mean for the motherboard. i tried getting some for it and when i went to install, it had an error saying no compatible hardware, or something along the lines of that. But i do have most recent bios and chipset platform for my mobo, i had to DL it though, i lost my cd.

i cant say that i have, but i did briefly look and wasnt really sure what to use, or exactly where to find them. as i have just recently been burdened by this problem, maybe the version before this one will work, on the other hand, it looks just like the one i had before i reformatted, so im not sure. i guess the only thing i can do is try.

You could physically remove the card
Boot up from onboard video
Remove all the drivers again
Restart
Confirm all is good (onboard wise)

Then Shutdown
Re-install the card
Plug the Display back in to the AGP card
Turn on
Re-install the drivers again
Restart and test again

i will try that shortly. but i do have some interesting info you might need. i just noticed today after watching this problem occur over and over, that this happenes everytime i click on something that make the fans get louder. its like when the card is idling its fine, its when it kicks on and wants to get going that this happenes. I mean, right now my fans are on, video card as well, but if i click on something that makes the rpm's go up and get louder, thats when the monitor goes blank and i have to hold my pwr button. if that makes any sense, i hope it helps

also, i ran direct x diagnostics from run>dxdiag and when i ran the Test DirectDraw the problem happened instantly, but when i did Test Direct3D here are the results.

No problems found.
To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful.
Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful.
Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.

just some more info for you:
DirectX Features: (under Display tab in dxdiag)
DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back