GeForce 6200 video freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan77

Hi
Im am new to this so please be bear with me.
I have just installed a new GeForce 3d fusion 6200 graphics card to my Dell Optiplex GX 280 (to enable Call of Duty 2), originally graphics was an intel intergrated.
No problems with install, installed drivers and COD2 plays no problem.
Since install when I install a DVD (default player is Power DVD) it freezes. I installed NVDVD which came with the 6200, still freezes.
Video playback from the internet on media player also freezes.
Do I need to just tweek something. I have had a look at settings but nothing obvious jumps out at me.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Mark.

Hello and welcome to techspot!

Just need to clarify something first. You say when you go to play a movie, it freezes. What exactly do you mean when you say it freezes?

Your entire computer freezes up on you? Or is it just the software you are using to play the movie? As much detail as possible please, and we'll try and fix you up :grinthumb

When I try to play a DVD on the PC the DVD playing programme (power DVD or NVDVD) freezes and the PC slows down, most times I have to restart my PC to get things running again. This is only since I installed the card.

Make sure you do have the latest drivers and updates from microsoft
TRy lowering the video acceleration or run "dxdiag" and use the 3d tests
did you ever disable the onboard video in the bios?

blue_dragon said:
Make sure you do have the latest drivers and updates from microsoft
TRy lowering the video acceleration or run "dxdiag" and use the 3d tests
did you ever disable the onboard video in the bios?

Just updated from microsoft. 3D tests were also fine.
"did you ever disable the onboard video in the bios" Im not sure. How can I tell. I have noticed that on startup a message appears saying "cannot show this video mode" Any ideas?

Ive just tried to start the DVD player (NVDVD) with no DVD in and it gave this message - "Unable to connect to subpicture renderer".
Is this part of the problem or is it just because there is not a DVD in the PC.

Hi,

Having exactly the same problem and coming across others on different forums who have the same problem. Brought the card from PC World as I did? hmm....Have to wonder why they were selling them off cheap.

So far, no solutions though but many people with the same problem.

Have you tried completely disabling hardware acceleration or changing your video-overlay settings in the driver?

well...

If this has already been stated, then sorry. You can download new drivers at the homepage of the manufacturer...or look for a fix.

delirious270 said:
Hi,

Having exactly the same problem and coming across others on different forums who have the same problem. Brought the card from PC World as I did? hmm....Have to wonder why they were selling them off cheap.

So far, no solutions though but many people with the same problem.

Yeah..... good old PC world.
What I have noticed is that in device manager "video controller" has a question mark next to it. Is this related??

Yeah, I took that to be my onboard graphics card. I disabled it to make sure it didn't intefere with the geforce. Have been posting on other forums, they reckon it might be the power supply. I have enough wattage but they reckon I might not have enough power to the 12v dc rail. I have also emailed the manufacturers to tell them that a lot of people are having the same problem and see what they come up with. Last night I played about with the hardware acceleration. If I put it on the lowest or lowest but one setting then I could play video files in media player. However, if i set the settings any higher than this then the computer froze trying to play the same video. I guess it could be any number of things, thats why its so frustrating!........

If its a power issue I dont suppose replacing this card for a more expensive one will change things

shan77 said:
If its a power issue I dont suppose replacing this card for a more expensive one will change things

It depends, If you buy a graphics card where you have to plug a power supply in to it then you might be okay.

delirious270 said:
Yeah, I took that to be my onboard graphics card. I disabled it to make sure it didn't intefere with the geforce. Have been posting on other forums, they reckon it might be the power supply. I have enough wattage but they reckon I might not have enough power to the 12v dc rail. I have also emailed the manufacturers to tell them that a lot of people are having the same problem and see what they come up with. Last night I played about with the hardware acceleration. If I put it on the lowest or lowest but one setting then I could play video files in media player. However, if i set the settings any higher than this then the computer froze trying to play the same video. I guess it could be any number of things, thats why its so frustrating!........

How do I access the hardware acceleration on this card?

Changing hardware acceleration on any card (as far as I know) can be done through windows.

Go here if you want to know how to change it:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdh_dmt_kyef.asp

Also if you haven't allready done it you should update your drivers like zeth006 said, not from microsoft, from nvidia (http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp).
If none of that works try enabling CoolBits and underclock your card a bit just too see if that helps, and remember that many cheap manufacturers overrate their PSUs.

Many people just talking sh*t about this problem.... :confused:
it's not true, that the best way to fix video playback freeze is to change hardware acceleration(?) or download latest drivers from NVIDIA. It will not fix this problem!!! because the problem persist not in video, but in AGP driver!!! So....

1. Do not instal latest nvidia drivers, cuz there are some bugs in it. (video will play, but some games will run very slow)
The best driver version for Gf 6200 is 76.44 and 76.50!
(download here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1028 )

2. Download and instal Chipset and Platform drivers (for mainboard)
(for VIA chipset click here: http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1070)
Be carefull about that: latest is wrong! use only your chipset series driver (K7, K8, KT1##, and etc.)

that's all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back