GeForce 8500 GT display issue

Hi.

I recently got an Inno 3D Geforce 8500 GT 512MB card. I removed my old ATi X600 using the clean install method, installed the 8500 GT under safe mode and rebooted. All seems to be well. Just recently there have been five bars of what I can only describe as static dropping down from the top of the screen. You don't always notice them, but when I play back video or there is some light colour being used on the whole screen there they are. Have rolled back the drivers to several previous versions but this doesn't seem to help. The 3D capability is unaffected and everything seems to run as it should but, those static bars are always there. Does this mean the card is a dud, or can it be fixed in some relativly simple way?

Dell Dimension 9100
Windows XP Home SP3
Geforce 8500 GT
3GB DDR 2
250GB Hard Drive
Intel Pentium 4 3.6 Ghz
Sound Blaster X-Fi
PSU 375W

I have a few thought on this but not a fault I have seen before.

First I would remove all cards and mamory and clean the contacts with a soft rubber (up and down the contacts not from end to end) then refit them all, see if there is an improvement.

Try another known good screen.

Try running with just one memory module installed then swap them around to test each one, you might find that one of the modules produces the fault.

If none of the above isolates the problem then it probably is the graphics card.

Back