General questions about Windows 7

karol3

Hey, I want to upgrade my windows vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 and I have some questions.

First my steam games. i have 3 hard drives and I have STEAM on my storage drive, when I install windows 7 on my LOCAL disk 1 will I need to format disk 2 and 3 or will the files on them be left untouched?

I have a overclocked q9450, will a clean install affect my OC or is it all saved on the bios?

When I do a clean install will I have to reinstall my MOBO drivers or will that be done automatically once Windows 7 is installed?

i have never done this, any other tips or tutorials are welcome, thx.

Also can any link me the version I should get on amazon? I will upgrade to Ivy bridge when it comes out and I read that some Windows 7 versions can only be used once, I am interested in windows home premium.

PC specs:

q9450 oc to 3.0ghz
4 gb corsair ddr2 800
ASUS P5E Deluxe Mobo
570GTX
600W psu
Drives: 750gb, 120gb, 2TB
Windows VISTA 32 bit

You will have to clean install 7 64bit because it won't upgrade from 32bit. I have 7 Pro that is an "upgrade" (or at least I thought it was, I bought the student one you downloaded for $30 when 7 came out). And I was able to clean install with the upgrade. I think you can do this with other upgrade versions too, but I'm not 100% certain. I know in Vista you could install without a license key and then "upgrade" that with your real license key, and I remember reading a long time ago that Microsoft did not change that in 7. But again, probably need to get another opinion on that before fully trusting me.

You will not need to format the other disks, they will be untouched. If you want to play it real safe you can physically disconnect them during the install. The files won't be touched, but if you had installed programs to them, they will not work without being reinstalled in 7 - but you can just install to the same directory.

Unless you are using some tools to overclock from within Windows, then no, your OC won't be affected - its all controlled in the BIOS.

Windows 7 will have drivers that will work for your board, but its best to get the newest official drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Windows 7 Home Premium Full install (not upgrade) for $95

Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade Family Pack (can go on 3 comps) for $140

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit System Builder (OEM) for $95

So the top one is what I'd get if you have to order from Amazon. Newegg did have it for $80 a day or two ago, but I don't see that offer anymore.

You will have to clean install 7 64bit because it won't upgrade from 32bit. I have 7 Pro that is an "upgrade" (or at least I thought it was, I bought the student one you downloaded for $30 when 7 came out). And I was able to clean install with the upgrade. I think you can do this with other upgrade versions too, but I'm not 100% certain. I know in Vista you could install without a license key and then "upgrade" that with your real license key, and I remember reading a long time ago that Microsoft did not change that in 7. But again, probably need to get another opinion on that before fully trusting me.

The student licenses now only work as upgrade only. They previously worked as a clean install, but this is no longer the case as I have found out on several occasions.

The way around that is to remove your ethernet cable so it cannot access the internet, and do a clean install with your genuine disc, and click next when asked to type your product key (do not enter it). Once inside your new W7 install then autoplay the disc in your media drive, and "upgrade" the OS. You can then use your genuine serial number and it works fine. Its long winded, but it works fine and because the OS is freshly installed it makes very few changes.

thank you guys. Now i have win 7 on my laptop, will 64 bit programs automatically install in the 64 bit program files folder or will i need to manually specify?

will Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit System Builder (OEM) for $95 lock my windows 7 to my current MOBO, i plan to upgrade which a year so I would like to avoid re-buying a copy?

Back