Generic Host process for Win32 error (with random stop of audio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

manasyt

Hello, I recently noticed that my audio device stops working after some minutes and
I get the above mentioned error message (and No audio device detected).
After restart it works and stops again.

Details :

Error signature

EventType : BEX P1 : svchost.exe P2 : 5.1.2600.2180 P3 : 41107ed6
P4 : netapi32.dll P5 : 5.1.2600.2180 P6 : 411096ac P7 : 0000a3c0
P8 : c0000409 P9 : 00000000

Also there are several files that appear later :

\Temp\WER1934.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
\Temp\WER1934.dir00\appcompat.txt

and also 2 text files - appcompat & manifest, which I attached.

Im running XP professional SP2 on a Sony Vaio (downgraded from Vista)

In Device Manager everything looks fine.

Please help me!!!!! Im a musician and this is really terrible.

I have run Avast, Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, none of them find anything.

Let me know if you need any other info, I appreciate it!

Attachments

• appcompat.txt
    15.9 KB · Views: 6
netapi32.dll is a process belonging to the Microsoft network program . netapi32.dll is a module that contains the Windows NET API used by applications to access a Microsoft network.

A better way to check out an Error is to use the Event Viewer:

Please look for Errors in the Event Viewer that are corresponding to the time of the message.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock at message.

From Leo to help you understand:
Appcompat.txt is simply a reporting file used when uploading error reports to Microsoft. You've seen the message asking you if you would like to "report this error to Microsoft"? Appcompat.txt is a file that is uploaded if you say yes.

Appcompat.txt is not the problem. It contains information about the problem. Open it up in notepad, and you'll see what I mean. When you get an error message that references appcompat.txt, it'll usually give you the full path to the file. So click on Start, Run and enter:

notepad C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7b4e.dir00\appcompat.txt

Where "C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7b4e.dir00\appcompat.txt" is replaced with the actual information that was presented in the error message. You'll see a lot of technical information that begins with this: (edited out)

And finally, from Tomshareware:
Both of these are the result of your error(s) and you have Error Reporting enabled. There will also be an appcompat.txt file(s) which is the text that was sent in each error report.

hdmp extension is the uncompressed version of an error dump. The .MDMP
file is the compressed version and is the file sent to Microsoft.

svchost.exe.hdmp in
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\local Settings\Temp\WERcf77.dir00

svchost.exe.mdmp in
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\local Settings\Temp\WERcf77.dir00

You can delete anything in the
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\local Settings\Temp folder. This your
Temporary folder.

My suggestion: delete the two files, turn off the error reporting/ that will most likely handle the problem,

I don't know that's it's audio related.

ok i turned off error reporting lets see if it helps.

what is strange , what i forgot to say, its that it stops
when im running sound on the laptop speakers (Realtek HD driver)
but it also stops if im running sound on the outside audio card i use
(an Edirol)

thanx a lot, if it keeps doing it i will do the event log thing.

Did you check Sounds and Audio Devices in the Control Panel? Check the Audio tab for Sound Playback, Sound Recording and MIDI Music Playback> all three boxes should have input. I am not a hardware person so if it continues with the Error Reporting off, I'll send you to a more specific forum.

Playback has output
Sound recording input

I guess its normal, but lets see if it does it again today.

ok today it happened again...
it worked fine on the outside audio card, as soon as I switched back to laptop audio
it gives no audio device and all the tabs are greyed out - playback, recording & MIDI.

i will try now to go just with laptop speakers for a while to see if it happens this way.

but you think its a hardware problem?

I will wait for the error again but when I look with event vwr all previous errors mention netapi.

maybe i have deleted it by mistake and it causes this?

i will post the event vwr log later today.

thank you!

as soon as I switched back to laptop audio it gives no audio device and all the tabs are greyed out - playback, recording & MIDI.

So the card in the laptop has gone bad- did you check for errors in Device Manager in laptop also?

You wouldn't have deleted an error in the Event Viewer by mistake. those are sequential logs. By definition, I doubt netapi is related to the audio problem. Be sure to check both System AND Apps logs for corresponding errors.

ok, no I meant deleting the netapi.dll...

in Device Manager everything looks fine, also after the error appears.

This the Event log from Application :

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1000
Date: 26/05/2009
Time: 15:59:04
User: N/A
Computer: MANASYT
Description:
Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module netapi32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0000a3c0.

in System there are no errors at this same time.

and also now I remembered having the same audio problem some months ago, i dont remember if same error and found on a forum
about Windows Worms Door Cleaner and it fixed it. But now when I try with it , it says I'm all protected :/

i just noticed one more weird thing...

I was talking on Skype when the error appeared again, but the sound on Skype kept working...
Also when I tried Myspace and other sites with stream audio it works fine, but when I try to play a file - a song or movie, it doesnt work.....

it seems like it might be a virus?

when I checked Startup I have some processes running that Im not sure about....

GoogleUpdate (located in Application data)
ALCMTR (which is connected with Realtek I think)
ctfmon (which I guess is connected with Bulgarian alphabet Im running)
jusched (which I think is Java update)

you think any of these might be causing the problem?

Re: Event ID: 1000, Event Source: Application Error,Description:
Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module netapi32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0000a3c0:

Are you current on all Windows Updates?
Do you use the Windows Server 2003?
Do you have the NET framework?

I'm finding that other with the same problem had these versions:
After the windows update netapi32.dll version changes from 5.2.3790.1830 to 5.2.3790.2747 and it looks like this solves the problem :)

So just going by the numbers, it looks like you're behind in the updates. Go to the Windows Update site, find which updates you're missing and download and install them.

Hopefully this will resolve the crash problem. There is also note of a buffer overflow in earlier versions,

EDIT to add: I started this reply a couple of hours ago and had to leave it unfinished. Meanwhile you replied, so this will address that:
None of these need to be checked to start on boot:

GoogleUpdate (located in Application data)
How to Remove GoogleUpdate.exe in XP
1. Go to Start >> Control Panel
2. Open Administrative Tools >> Scheduled Tasks
3. Locate GoogleUpdateTaskUser.exe in the scheduled task list.
googleupdater_thumb.png

4. Remove GoogleUpdateTaskUser from the scheduled tasks.

ALCMTR : Realtek AC97 Audio - Event Monitor. "Sypware" file used surreptitiously monitor one's actions.
1. Disable Realtek 'Monitor': Double-click on the red/brown Realtek audio icon
2. Large blue screen appears
3. Click the spanner icon, and uncheck the box.

ctfmon: When you run a Microsoft Office XP program, the file Ctfmon.exe (Ctfmon) runs in the background, even after you quit all Office programs, monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies.Language and Regional settings for Office

jusched: auto-update for Java> does not need to run:
1. Control Panel> Java> Update tab>
2. UNCHECK 'automatically check for updates'> Apply>
3. Answer Yes when asked to confirm> OK.

All of these processes can be UNCHECKED on the Start Menu using msconfig> Selective Startup> Startup menu.
NOTE: the first time you boot after making the changes, you will get a nag message. Ignore it and close after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup

No, I do not think any of these are causing the problem.

im running a pirate copy of XP SP2-For this Vaio model, Sony provided all the drivers to do so but not a copy of Windows, how good is that? :/

It isn't good.

From touch:
We do not support piracy.

This is the main reason your computer is having problems. Visiting cracksites/warezsites - and other questionable/illegal sites is always a risk.

Even a single click on the site can drop multiple forms of very serious malware, many of which disable your onboard protection, and System Restore.

If you install the cracked software, you are running executable files from these dubious, unknown sources. You are in effect giving these sources access to information on your hard disk, and potential control over the operation of your computer.

ok, yes, i understand, but i didnt have another choice...

i think i fixed it with this :
WindowsXP-KB939252-x86-ENU

so far, so good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back