German Chancellor opposes net neutrality, says fast lanes required for advanced uses of Internet

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Nearly a month after US President Barack Obama publicly came out in support of net neutrality, German Chancellor Angela Merkel has argued in favor of creating a two-tier Internet, where the "fast lane" would be for special, high-priority online services, while the other lane would resemble the Internet we know today.

Speaking at Digitising Europe, an event put on by the Vodafone Institute for Society and Communication, she said that fast lanes are necessary for assuring a "predictable standard of quality," which is key to the development of new, advanced Internet services, like telemedicine, driverless cars, and more.

"If you want driverless control of cars, or when you use certain tele-medicine solutions, then you obviously have to have an error-free and permanently available connection," Merkel said. She also argued that the Internet in Germany isn’t fast enough for the principle of net neutrality to be implemented. "We can't talk about net neutrality if the capacity to have it isn't available."

According to a Frankfurter Allgemeine report, the German government is in agreement with the plan, and has even prepared an economic proposal for the European Union that looks to explore the new two-tier structure. Video-on-demand services, like Netflix, would also be eligible for paid prioritization of their content.

However, it would be difficult for the proposal to sail through the European Parliament which had earlier supported the principle of net neutrality by barring ISPs from charging data-hungry services for faster network access.

Meanwhile, Merkel's move to support prioritized internet traffic has concerned net neutrality supporters in Germany. "This statement is taking the position of telecommunications firms. This is not the net neutrality we want, but a move towards the creation of a two-tier network where content becomes preferred based on who pays for it to make it so," said Markus Beckedahl, Berlin-based founder of netzpolitik.

Permalink to story.

aaaaaaaaaand

"Video-on-demand services, like Netflix, would also be eligible for paid prioritization of their content."

So the infrastructure is not there to support Net Neutrality, therefore, dedicating an additional faster, always on connection is somehow viable using that same infrastructure? If not, you're going to build/improve current infrastructure to support the "Fast Lane", so use that for Net Neutrality. The internet has gotten bad enough with click-bait articles, terrible memes everywhere, and everybody who can sort of use their fingers able to provide valuable insight into false information and ignorance.

I don't need to pay more to be able to actually use Netflix. I'm already paying Netflix. Why should I pay twice for a service? My ISP is happily taking my money as well, so I'm already paying for that as well.

Internet speeds in a lot of countries aren't yet fast enough or cheap enough and certain services need or are going to need nigh speed access to the internet 24/7 and I don't mean frivolous luxuries like Netflix so I can see where she's coming from.

Okay... now we have a new question... how fast is the fast lane and how slow is the slow lane??

Angela Merkel and the german gov just need to stfu! They have no right giving the providers the go ahead to screw us for every penny they can, because that's what she is basically doing.

Okay... now we have a new question... how fast is the fast lane and how slow is the slow lane??
that is not the problem the problem is if they do decide to do this will they ever update the "slow lane". since if you want faster internet simply git the "fast lane". which in most like hood will update at the same speed it is being updated now.

I'm not entirely against the idea of a two lane highway, but for the sake of pure reliability where it is first and for most important, not "faster internet for things that 'need' reliablity." Like a dedicated redundent trunk line for things such as emergency services and safety related services, but not one that as a service/content provider you can opt in or out of like Merkel is suggesting.

She also argued that the Internet in Germany isn’t fast enough for the principle of net neutrality to be implemented.
Isn't that her fault? Why should the rest of us suffer at the behest of her stupidity?

Ofcorse she did... she's probablly backed by her paid supporters of internet hijacking (big internet, TWC, Comcast, etc.) and if they can pull this off in the states, the rest of the world would probably try to follow, and then everyone is equally @#$%ed... All this greed makes me wish I could move to another alien planet and leave the human race behind as it's embarrassingly stupid at this point...

She has a point, demand on infrastructure has exploded and suddenly infrastructure is totally overwhelmed.

The answer however is to invest money in infrastructure. The companies running the backbones/supernet have been selling the same product for EVER and never bothered investing in growth. Who's fault is it that they didn't do their homework?

Instead of BS two(or 50) tier internet lanes we need governments to loan ISP's money to install more fiber and get their infrastructure upgraded to come in line with the Internet of 2015 not 2000.

Polish di.com.pl site (Dziennik Internautów) marked that she said that on Vodafone conference so... It's rather unsurprising.

Ofcorse she did... she's probablly backed by her paid supporters of internet hijacking (big internet, TWC, Comcast, etc.) and if they can pull this off in the states, the rest of the world would probably try to follow, and then everyone is equally @#$%ed... All this greed makes me wish I could move to another alien planet and leave the human race behind as it's embarrassingly stupid at this point...
Brace yourself, it's more than likely to get a lot worse before it gets better...:D That's assuming it ever does get better.

The premise is good, but the execution won't be.

We can't have fast lanes solely due to monetization.

Certain things should be prioritized, of course, but there's just no way to have any sort of fair system across the entire world.. at least not in present time.

Back