Get Rid of Windows 10 Ads, Office Offers and Other Annoyances

Thank you. The article, especially the registry changes, made me think about things I do on my normal Win7 system and whether they can be applied to the exotica of Win10 so the E.T. features can be subverted completely. If they can, and return control of the Personal Computer to me the Person, then I can test if it's really as 'speedy' as claimed in comparison using the same hardware.

With the Win10 E.T. "features" in mind, what I would like to see is a keep your privacy series. Privacy means no one gets notified you own or you're using your hardware and operating system until you choose to contact them, especially if you don't go on the web, and even if you do, only the site you're contacting.

The webwide lie about depersonalized or anonymized data should be addressed. As has been said over and over and over, there is no privacy. Maybe someone should take a solid look at that 'truth' also and stop kowtowing to the Google 'Free the information so we can sell it!" and Microsoft "You're assimilated already, get used to it!" corporate views as if they were acceptable business practices.

Win10 is where Googleization got rammed down down our throats with the embedded quislings saying "It's good for you because now it's cheaper for Microsoft to develop and monitor and secure." As the article points out about desktop adverts, you can see where that 'cheaper for Microsoft to develop and monitor and secure' went.

I took a look at the forums and 'privacy' is lumped under "Internet Culture" as if not being spied on is some kind of social fad. Equally, its not broken out as a legitimate subject but lumped in with Zuckerberg "giving away" his money and "More lonely men are turning to virtual assistants for love and dirty talk". Yet, here the article is, dealing with the targetting and advertising 'no privacy' generates.

Even if Techspot was hardware only, the questions about the Intel chips would make Privacy a legitimate separate subject using the other hardware in the house to subvert that.

Just a thought from a long time tin foil hat.

It's a helpful article but I assumed that anybody who subscribes to this site does have a bit of tech savvy and would've already known about all these settings. It's also handy for those who already know this, they can just forward the article to those they know who don't know the first thing this type of thing. Hopefully they'll take the time to read it.

I'm getting pretty intolerant of the never ending invasion of privacy complaints on the forum. Times have changed and most of us don't want to return to pre internet days. The privacy settings in Windows 10 are easy enough to research and then control but instead some folks would rather carp on about it ad infinitum. There are VPNs widely available to hide IP addresses. A little time with Google and a bit more time exploring the privacy settings and you can set up things the way you would like. But instead, we have complaints about Governments, Microsoft, Google and Apple taking our personal information. This is how it always has been it's just that technology has now industrialised the process. There are freeware alternatives to Microsoft Office and also free OSs for enthusiasts who are willing to spend loads of time getting stuff to work. Corporations are there largely to generate profits and information is one of their tools.

If only other software offered such options.

I'd love to have a way to disables the advertising that come with most computer games these days.

I'm not a gamer but adverts are shown if you go to the cinema, read newspapers or watch television so it's no surprise that games include adverts. It's all part of life's package when you live in an industrialised society.

Thanks for the guide! I knew about some of these but not others, and even for fairly tech savvy users it's nice to see these in one place.

It's a helpful article but I assumed that anybody who subscribes to this site does have a bit of tech savvy and would've already known about all these settings. It's also handy for those who already know this, they can just forward the article to those they know who don't know the first thing this type of thing. Hopefully they'll take the time to read it.

They're probably hoping that it ranks high in search results of "win 10 privacy", and drive some new traffic to their site.

I guess if it helps more, sure.. but already known. Also add disable "connected user experiences and telemetry" service, and feedback&diagnostics to Never & Basic. This can also be completely disabled through registry.

Better yet, go back to Win7 or Win 8.1 and skip ads altogether. If people keep resisting Microsoft they will listen eventually when support for 8.1 in 2023. expire. Win10, as it is today, is not even an option worth considering.

There's not a single fact in your post Rockstarrrr. It's all hot air. Even Windows 7 die-hards had to resist the efforts of Microsoft to inform them of the new Windows 10 OS. No way is the clock going to roll back.

Last edited:
There's not a single fact in your post Rockstarrrr. It's all hot air. Even Windows 7 die-hards had to resist the efforts of Microsoft to inform them of the new Windows 10 OS. No way is the clock going to roll back.

If the Windows 10 adoption numbers continue to stagnate Microsoft will most certainly make changes or start to become irrelevant. That's how business works.

I'm getting pretty intolerant of the never ending invasion of privacy complaints on the forum. Times have changed and most of us don't want to return to pre internet days. The privacy settings in Windows 10 are easy enough to research and then control but instead some folks would rather carp on about it ad infinitum. There are VPNs widely available to hide IP addresses. A little time with Google and a bit more time exploring the privacy settings and you can set up things the way you would like. But instead, we have complaints about Governments, Microsoft, Google and Apple taking our personal information. This is how it always has been it's just that technology has now industrialised the process. There are freeware alternatives to Microsoft Office and also free OSs for enthusiasts who are willing to spend loads of time getting stuff to work. Corporations are there largely to generate profits and information is one of their tools.

It is apparent (as we said in the Vietnam era days) "You don't know do you?". No one is advocating not having access to the net. What I say (and the royal 'we') is the net has gone over to the dark side of thought spying. I can safely say I can buy Win10 and break it so I can get the updates I want and not get spied on everytime I check my email from an MS server or Gmail server. Probably most people here can. The problem is we're not the relatives and friends IRL requires of all of us. And "THOSE" people won't do that.

Worse than that, is people like you say we should just suffer on because the vast majority of the world is non-tech. I have two paid VPNs, I pay with a rechargeable credit card I charge with cash on trips to the hinterland. I can double route those back through free ones on the web. This does me no good at all if I discuss politics or guns or Hillary or anything else with my photographer friend in Louisiana on his gmail account.

I use ghostery on my browser because I effin hate Google. I have all of Google and their minions blocked in Peerblock address block that a guy on the web maintains and I pay for his time. Ghostery recently decided to go spy mainstream and now attempts to connect to Oracle owned web sites on Amazon cloud addresses EVERY TIME I OPEN THE BROWSER. I paid for Ghostery a while back. I didn't ask for that "feature". Yet here I am dealing with it and you and yours saying "oh that's ok, that's just business".

Right now, the US government and the state of Virginia use Google Analytics. I am REQUIRED to correspond with my government for all activities using a web link now. That web link automatically includes Google knowing I'm doing that. Do you even get that concept at all? I don't give a flying rat's *** if it's anonymized. Google has no right nor contractable right to know I'm contacting my government. That's aside from the concept that its Google that's making the statement "oh we only collect anonymized information." because, you know, EVERYONE trusts Google. Apparently you do because you state; "...A little time with Google and a bit more time exploring the privacy settings and you can set up things the way you would like...". In the real world, why don't you give me all your privacy settings and passwords and let me monitor your correspondence. I am, among other things, a bonded and insured locksmith, and I promise to not tell a soul what you write or forward or I will lose my bond. You know that would hurt me right? to lose my bond? That is aside from having to register with Google to set up privacy settings so Google "promises" to not follow me... much.

As I said, "You don't know do you?" So get used to us carping or don't bother showing up here. We who do know and we who do pay attention, have to spend a large portion of our lives teaching people that think electricity flows through their house wires how to operate dangerous machinery. To follow that analogy, its time that stopped and somebody put a switch on the line so the 'flow' can be shut down by the average person who's not a tech.

Progress is forwards not backwards with technology. Windows 3.1 computers haven't made a come back so far. There is no satisfactory replacement for Windows 10 that I know of. It offers far more scope than W7 or W8.1 for anybody prepared to put a bit of effort in. From my dalliance with Linux I reckon the free alternatives require a good deal of input and the software that will run is limited. The upgrade I had real trouble with was from W98 to XP where I had to spend out on replacing several parts and some software was never compatible. In those days sound cards and graphics cards cost serious money but XP was more than worth the trouble.

Microsoft will come out on top with Windows 10 just as they did with Vista. It's cost me a budget graphics card and quite some time to get used to W10 but I'm very satisfied with how things are going. Windows 7 is basically an improved version of Vista, a fact that has been conveniently overlooked by those who are still living in 2009 with Windows 7. Vista first arrived in 2006 so it took a fair time to iron out the glitches.

Microsoft will come out on top with Windows 10 just as they did with Vista. It's cost me a budget graphics card and quite some time to get used to W10 but I'm very satisfied with how things are going. Windows 7 is basically an improved version of Vista, a fact that has been conveniently overlooked by those who are still living in 2009 with Windows 7. Vista first arrived in 2006 so it took a fair time to iron out the glitches.

Actually no. I have Vista running on an MSI notebook I bought back in the day. After I disabled all the check back and made everything update only manually, it runs like a scalded cat. Still runs and does an excellent job on browsing, World of Warcraft, and the five Rosetta Stone languages I have in it.

With that success method learned on Vista, I did the same with Win7. It's faster with 16G of RAM vs the 6 on Vista. I've updated both to SSD SATAs and the only real reason to move to Win10 is newer browser based games and the new Thunderbolt expansion for external storage not using a Gigabit router and server. 'Whoopee!", I'm almost underwhelmed by the progress of 8 years in new features and programs. Just for curiousity here, what do you run on Win10 that is better than Win7 or even Vista? How much and what percentage has that whatever-it-is improved (or you believe has improved) your productivity in the workplace or your home?

Look up my Facebook group "PCcloud9 Tech News & Tips" to grab a free copy of my custom cleanup scripts for Windows10. It does all of the above and much more with the click of a button. :)

I'm a computer tech and I run my script on every Win10 system I come across.

Better yet, go back to Win7 or Win 8.1 and skip ads altogether. If people keep resisting Microsoft they will listen eventually when support for 8.1 in 2023. expire. Win10, as it is today, is not even an option worth considering.

Good luck running any new hardware on your copy of windows 7/8.1

Both intel and AMD have confirmed windows 10 will be a requirement.

That's nice. Now I'm dismayed that I may not be able to go faster than 3.5k on my Alienware and worse yet the Rosetta Stone language learning software won't be able to keep up with my faster newly learned speech. I'm so blazingly fast typing now, the buffer routinely gets left behind. What will I do? What will I do?

Did you not read the post to bazz2004? "...Just for curiousity here, what do you run on Win10 that is better than Win7 or even Vista? How much and what percentage has that whatever-it-is improved (or you believe has improved) your productivity in the workplace or your home?..." to add to that for you, as I mentioned about the external expansion speed vs a gigabit wired router and server, what do you think the new Intel chips and motherboards are going to add? If all you're talking about is gaming, then your statement should be: "Good luck running any new GAMES on new hardware and video cards on your copy of 7/8.1. Both intel and AMD have confirmed windows 10 will be a requirement."

Now other than games, what exactly is all the whizz bang bringing to the table? VR editing? Because I know most of us are into that? Ray tracing on 3D animations? Definitely. I have copies of all the free software and any day now I'm going to release a new Star Wars fan film (subject to published rules of course) that will only take me a couple of years to draw. Thank god the rendering is reduced from months to less months on my multi-GPU massively parallel server farm.

For those widely popular and overwhelmingly used capabilities I guess I'll have to give up my privacy to Microsoft for their fully announced, well-tested, and completely compatible updates as I work on my film and develop my VR interface for operating theater brain surgery training.

What are you doing with your Win 10?

Now tell us how to eliminate the annoying popup whenever one uses the Chrome browser. You know. The one that tells you that Edge is so much better, or faster, or cures psoriasis.

What are you doing with your Win 10?

Mostly gaming and video editing. Directx12 is windows 10 exclusive and needed for modern games.
High end hardware is needed for video editing at a decent speed, If you wish to remain competitive. The hardware released by both intel and amd will require windows 10 in the next 18 months or so.

If your only running rosetta stone, I have a pentium 4 here with XP pre installed you are most welcome too :)

I`m prepared to buy USED hardware for the time being, its not like there is performance gains with Kaby Lake/Zen.. Haswell will do just fine, dont care about 5-6% difference. That is, if something happens with my Ivy Bridge rig.

Back