Getting BSODs after hardware upgrade

Madrauk

For Christmas this year my parents got me a new motherboard, RAM, and processor for my computer. I occasionally get BSOD's when I tab out of a game or am playing a game with say a minecraft server being run in the background. While this can be either from the processor or RAM I have run windows 7 default memory checker and it came up clean, though I am aware that is not the most comprehensive way to test memory. What I want to know is based on the following error report, whether or not it is my processor or RAM and if it can be fixed without replacing the hardware.
0x0000007a (0xfffff6fc4000a7e0, 0xffffffffc000000e, 0x000000012b227860, 0xfffff880014fc724)

Have you installed all the latest motherboard drivers and re-installed all the Windows Updates, including all the optional updates?

I haven't. I assume motherboard drivers are found about the same way graphics card drivers are found, but how do I re-install all my windows updates?

Go to START, All Programs and Windows Update. Run it manually until no more updates are found. Please include all the optional updates too. You can't expect to install a new motherboard and have it work perfectly, without making sure you have no exclamation points in the device manager and that the new motherboards bios are set properly

Funny thing about this is I got these parts way earlier than Christmas because I impatiently wanted to play Planetside 2 at a decent framerate, and these problems hadn't started until mid December and just yesterday when I posted this I got blue screened 3 times, first when alt tabbing out of Assassin's creed 3, second while playing, and third simply while trying to start a different game through steam. Whatever is wrong is apparently getting worse and now I can only start my computer in safe mode. Anyway, I'll get on those updates and drivers and let you know if it changes anything.

I've applied a BIOS update to my motherboard and now it restarts the computer partway through the windows 7 glowing dots loading screen. I feel like this happened when I first installed the board and was relatively simple to fix, but it just isn't coming to me right now.

I just got another BSOD playing Dark Souls, so it's not fixed yet. There's only 1 thing to download in windows update so that's unlikely to help.

It's an Nvidia GeForce GTX 260, updated to the most stable release of at least a week ago, first thing I updated when the BSOD's started getting more common.

Ok your having the same problem as me. I think I have your solution. Ever since the 310.00 version and up, I have been getting the BSOD. I was told by an admin here to go back to a later version, and it has solved my problem, I find version 296.10 to be the most stable ATM. Try it and let me know.

I find it funny that since you upgraded, you obviously upgraded your video card, and after doing so, you started to get the same problem as me and hundreds of others. The problem points to NVIDIA's driver release version 310.00 and up. It is obviously unstable and needs a massive overhaul. I'm curious to know if its the same problem as I had.

This is interesting. I'm at my friends house right now, but once I get home I will roll back to version 296.10. I'll let you know how things are going after that.

After the driver rollback and a hefty night of Dark Souls, I got another blue screen while I was shutting my computer down. I'm not really sure if that counts...

I don't think there are any more powerful ones in my house, and it doesn't seem like a sparse power supply would cause blue screens centered around memory strings, but I'll see if I can borrow one from another computer.

Alright, I found an 850 Watt PSU I let my dad put in their computer because their old one stopped working. I originally bought it to go along with my current graphics card but for some reason put it in my computer but took it out and just used my old one. I believe it caused some kind of instability. I also looked up a few PSU calculators and unless there is a major power draw I'm not aware of they all land me within the 400-550 watt range.

I haven't gotten another BSOD in two days... never would've guessed it myself, but this looks like the solution. Thanks a ton for your help everybody! Everything turned out better than expected.

Back