Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

Anyone else having fun with these?
I have just finished building 6 new machines based on this board and 4 of them have failed to accept the drivers for the sound card. In each case the device manager shows a PCI device with no driver and the sound card is missing.
2 of the 6 boards are OK.
They have all be built by me and are otherwise all the same.
I have downloaded the latest drivers from the web site but this did not fix the problem.

1. Have you verified the BIOS version on each board? (in fact, there was a release in June, 08 to support onboard codec)

2. Summary/info of all Device Manager problems would also be helpful
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. (It may take a short while till a second window opens)
  • Expand Components (click + sign next to it)
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click it, then Edit->Select All then Edit->Copy and then paste into your next post

I'll try that
I was wondering if it might be to do with the fact that - as I always do - I installed SP3 before running the auto install routine for all the drivers. Hmm.

i don't think installing SP3 prior to sound card makes much difference... ASSUMING when it comes time to the sound driver re-installs you've taken the necessary extra steps to clean out old or any still remaining ghost drivers still in your system (And just to make sure nothing is "assumed", i of course, also assume you;ve installed the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard.

All that said, i'd write up instructions for next steps:
  1. Scrubbing Device Manager to remove relevant current or ghost devices.
  2. Have Windows Device Installer set to createa "verbose" device installation log file.
Then could take a day 1 - 3 days for me to go through and interpret all of its messages and data. And then assess what is failing during the install (and hopefully why it's failing as well)

Thanks LookinAround - it appears that it is SP3 causing the trouble but not with the audio driver. The problem is with a bus driver that supports the audio driver and this is is what is not compatible with SP3 - which of course as we all know has only been with us for about a week or so. Why cannot these main board people get their act together - this is a commercial issue and I cannot afford to go rooting about looking for patches for components that should work out of the box!
Anyway - I have fixed it and long before the useless Gigabyte support team got into gear to deal with it - and their reply was way off target as I don't think they had read the question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back