Gigabyte's 1200W Aorus power supply features an integrated LCD panel

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Power supplies are a core component of every desktop build, but they generally aren’t all that stirring. Aside from amenities like modular cables, RGB lighting and high efficiency ratings, there’s not really much to get excited about. Gigabyte, however, wants to change that.

The company’s new Aorus P1200W 80+ Platinum modular power supply is an 80 PLUS certified unit (92 percent efficiency at 50 percent load) with a fully modular design that packs 100 percent Japanese capacitors, a single +12V rail and a 140mm smart double ball bearing cooling fan that can spin in reverse at high speeds to blow dust out the back of your computer.

It measures 86mm (3.39 inches) x 150mm (5.91 inches) x 160mm (6.30 inches) and will be backed by a 10-year warranty.

The unit’s standout feature, however, is a side-mounted color LCD screen that can display the health status of the power supply as well as “various texts, pictures, GIFs and MP4.” That’s right, the PSU can play video files.

Gigabyte was short on details, so we don’t yet know key specs like the screen's size or resolution, or even how much the PSU will cost or when it’ll be available. More importantly, will you be able to play Doom on it?

Permalink to story.

I can't hate on it. It's cool if you can display it without anything covering the screen and matches your theme.

This would go well with a CPU Temperature LCD readout AIO and a GPU LCD readout AIO...but... I have all of those conveniently on my desktop and I almost NEVER look at the side of my PC case.

I bought an Asus ROG Thor 850W PSU last year during the PSU shortage as my previous coolermaster started making a very loud noise and the Asus was the only decent PSU in stock. It has a display which shows the power consumption on it and I didn’t think much of that when I bought it. But actually I love it, it’s not really very useful but it’s cool to see how much power you’re pulling.

All that being said, had the seasonic version of my PSU been in stock (identical PSU which doesn’t have a screen) I’d have bought that for £50 less..

If you buy these high power psus and don't run them on 220v you're doing it wrong.

But it's not hard to make an outlet either. Putting a 1200w psu in your pc isn't very common as well though.
It is a difficult project to install a new 230v circuit into an american home. I mean for the electrician it's not a complicated job, but for someone who doesn't know what they are doing it's a very dangerous job. High power PSU's aren't as rare as you think especially with the introduction of high power video cards needing 800w to 1000w.

Stupid, worthless gimmick, nothing more. Unnecessarily adds cost and most people aren't going to ever even look at that screen. I can get a LOT more out of HWINFO!

It is a difficult project to install a new 230v circuit into an american home. I mean for the electrician it's not a complicated job, but for someone who doesn't know what they are doing it's a very dangerous job. High power PSU's aren't as rare as you think especially with the introduction of high power video cards needing 800w to 1000w.
If I can watch YouTube videos to work on a hybrid car. You can figure out 3 little wires.

Back