Global smartphone shipments experienced the biggest decline in history last month

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: The smartphone industry suffered greatly last month according to a new report from Strategy Analytics and with the coronavirus situation only getting worse, the prospect of a quick recovery doesn't seem likely.

Shipments dipped 38 percent year-over-year, from 99.2 million units in February 2019 to just 61.8 million last month.

Strategy Analytics analyst Neil Mawston said supply and demand plunged in China, slumped across Asia and slowed in the rest of the world. According to Strategy Analytics director Linda Sui, some Asian factories were unable to manufacture phones while consumers were unable or unwilling to visit retail stores to buy new devices.

The report echoes what we heard from the China Academy of Information and Communications Technology (CAICT) earlier this month. According to that report, smartphone sales in China were down nearly 55 percent in February.

“It is a period the smartphone industry will want to forget,” Mawston added.

Senior analyst Yiwen Wu noted that despite signs of recovery in China, they expect global smartphone shipments to remain weak throughout March 2020. With the coronavirus having locked down hundreds of millions of affluent consumers, the industry will have to work harder than ever to lift sales in the coming weeks, Wu said.

Online flash sales or discounts when bundling with other accessories like smartwatches could be one answer, the analyst added.

Apple, however, is taking a different approach in dealing with the whole matter. Rather than encourage as many sales as possible, the Cupertino-based handset maker is limiting the number of devices that users can purchase from its online store as a way to deal with shortages.

Masthead credit: Electronics store by Bodnar Taras. Bundle by New Africa.

Permalink to story.

Doubt it will happen, but perhaps to get the business back when this garbage is over, they will drop the price to attract business.

When this is over and the economy comes roaring back, which may take a year, smartphones will still be in a sales rut simply because they were overpriced for the last 3 years.

I'm still rocking my XS MAX 512GB till Apple makes a 1TB Pro Max.

Even having made over 12 hours of apocalypse videos for my Youtube on it, I still have 191GB available. I want 1TB so I can create even more content. Some quarantined shows like conan are using iPhone to create shows - not to mention live streaming.

Thing is, smartphones have had all these features for over 2 years. Why rush out and spend money if you face uncertainty.

Right now: nothing is selling.

Besides toilet paper, lysol, prophylactics, food and other stuff you use when locked in a house.

Apple is cash rich so they can afford to close down stores for a while.

For an anomaly that probably shouldn't exist, they are.. Actually this is a good idea let them close down more and more stores, faster and faster until all the money is
g o n e.

But I seriously doubt they'll keep producing more and more expensive phones when they already see sales numbers aren't there. They adapt pretty fast.

Haha, powerful insight, okay!

Features are at the top side now what more can be added. Heck, 3-year-old phones get the job done, don't they? I think the cycle for replacing is becoming greater in duration and 5G is great but I don't need it and 99% don't either. So how many camera's and how much memory along with maybe a newer processor is the only real changing items and frankly my V30 thin Q is just fine and will be until not sure!

People will figure out how to live without smart phones. Maybe some good will come out of this in that people will learn how to live again rather than bury themselves in the fantasy world of smart phones that only make companies like crApple richer.

With some $400 Bn or so in the bank, I am sure that crApple will find a way to survive - but perhaps this is the factor that drives a price correction among many industries in that this sh!t is way too overpriced.

My 32GB Moto X4, bought on a 50% off sale at $200, will last me for years to come. Pay-as-you-go for me, especially with 500Mbps WiFi.

People will figure out how to live without smart phones. Maybe some good will come out of this in that people will learn how to live again rather than bury themselves in the fantasy world of smart phones that only make companies like crApple richer.

With some $400 Bn or so in the bank, I am sure that crApple will find a way to survive - but perhaps this is the factor that drives a price correction among many industries in that this sh!t is way too overpriced.

My 32GB Moto X4, bought on a 50% off sale at $200, will last me for years to come. Pay-as-you-go for me, especially with 500Mbps WiFi.
This situation is just gonna make people use their smartphones more and everyone already has one. They're trapped in their own house and told to avoid contact, how will they spend their time?

Back