Google archives Japan tsunami damage through Street View

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google has made good on an initiative announced earlier this year to archive areas of Northeastern Japan that were affected by the earthquake and resulting tsunami in March. 360-degree imagery of devastated areas is now available through Street View in Google Maps.

Vehicles equipped with Street View cameras traveled more than 44,000 kilometers to survey the affected regions. Viewers can see a before and after comparison to get an idea of how severe the damage was. Google has also implemented a timestamp feature in the bottom left corner of each image that shows the month and year the photo was taken. This has been one of the most requested features in Street View and it is now available on Street View imagery worldwide. Timestamps will help historians, architects, city planners, travelers and potential home buyers get a sense of how fresh images are for areas that interest them.

google japan street view earthquake tsunami damage

The search giant has also made the imagery available through a special website called Building the Memory where visitors can compare before and after shots of towns forever changed by the disaster.

Google hopes that the images from Japan will ultimately help researchers and scientists to better understand the effects of natural disasters. The images will also help to ensure that the memories of the disaster will remain relevant and tangible for future generations. The team was taking donations for relief efforts through the Google Lat Long Blog earlier this year but Japan likely didn't do itself any favors last week by announcing that $29 million of post-tsunami recovery funds were being allotted to the whaling industry.

Permalink to story.

wow, I have seen alot of pictures but this shows the extent of the damage, it litterally flattened the area to nothing, I wish I had all the money in the world to help these guys out, I love the japanese yet I've never visited it :( one day I will, one day...

I wonder how many Google map vehicles are driving around the world mapping everything? I've seen one or two drive by, but they must number in the thousands if not the tens of thousands. How do you get a job driving a Google map vehicle? What does it pay? Who gets to do the cool sites like downtown Paris and who is stuck doing the plains of North Dakota?

Someone (*cough cough - TECHSPOT - cough cough*) should do an article on what's involved in putting together the ground view of Google Maps. ;)

No accounting for taste hey. I prefer North Dakota to a big city any day.

Japan should be putting the money the world donated to fixing the infrastructure and not spending upwards of 50 million of it on security for the whale hunting expedition. Very poor show Japan :(

Back