Google Assistant arrives on Samsung's 2020 TVs

Polycount

Staff
In context: In the world of smart assistants, Samsung's Bixby isn't exactly a well-known contender. Competitors like Amazon's Alexa, Google's Assistant, and Apple's Siri have all proven more popular and functional over the years, but Samsung still stubbornly persisted with its proprietary alternative.

Samsung made its AI the front-and-center (and, in some cases, only) virtual assistant across many of its devices, including its smartphones, smart TVs, and, of course, smart refrigerators.

However, today, the tech giant finally seems to have realized that Bixby is probably never going to replace its more popular cousins.

As such, owners of Samsung's latest 2020 TVs can finally access Google Assistant in place of Bixby, if they so choose. This means the TVs can act as a smart home access point or perform any other general Assistant functions you might be used to, such as weather check-ups or impromptu Q&A sessions.

If you want to switch Assistant on for your supported TV, doing so is quite easy. Just open up the Google Assistant app on your smartphone or tablet, and visit the Voice section of the Settings menu. There, you'll be able to link up your TV with the touch of a few buttons.

Image credit: Jovana Kuzmanovik via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

I consider this a win. Samsung is constantly trying to push bixby on me. They replaced the shut down button with the bixby button. So for the first few months of having my phone I would try to shut it down and bixby would come up. I think they would have done better with a name that doesn't read like it was thought up by a toddler. Bixby just makes me think of children's TV and it annoys me.

All of these "features" have turned out to be just another way for the makers to keep tabs on you. Be it for ratings or ease dropping on your privacy, they all amount to the same thing .... forced compliance or denied service. If the FCC were on top of their game they would REQUIRE a ways and means to opt out of any or all of these services w/o loss of service. Hopefully the next administration will do a better job .....

This is just one more step in the plot to the Orwell envisioned, "Telescreen", in your living room.

The last TV I bought, I set about to find "the stupidest" one I could.

I already had a Blu-ray player that nags me about "not being connected to the internet", and I ignore it completely as well.

Do yourself a favor and avoid Samsung TVs. Coming from someone with their top of the line 2019 model that's already been forgotten about as far as Samsung is concerned... it's not worth it. Their panels are incredible, but Tizen and Samsung's support in general is pitiful. Will risk the burn-in with an LG next time.

The last TV I bought, I set about to find "the stupidest" one I could.
Tell me about it. I bought my Samsung in late 2019, after months of searching for any dumb TV at 4K, or over 36". They just don't exist anymore. Your only option seems to be to buy it, and then never connect it to the internet.

Do yourself a favor and avoid Samsung TVs. Coming from someone with their top of the line 2019 model that's already been forgotten about as far as Samsung is concerned... it's not worth it. Their panels are incredible, but Tizen and Samsung's support in general is pitiful. Will risk the burn-in with an LG next time.
That has been my experience with a mid-tier Samsung from 2019 as well. Picture quality is amazing; software was sub-par out-of-the-box, and has only gotten worse with time. LG panels look just as good, but their software is much better. I also think they've pretty much solved their burn-in issues at this point. When I eventually do get another TV, good chance it will be an LG (unless things change)

Back