Google Glass shows up at New York fashion event

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google’s futuristic Project Glass augmented reality eyewear was spotted at a Diane von Furstenberg (DVF) modeling show yesterday. The event kicked off a collaboration between Google and DVF that aims to merge technology with the latest fashion trends and as CNET points out, is the first time the hi-tech spectacles have been seen in public outside of a Google tech event.

Several fashion models were seen wearing the glasses but it wasn’t just for show. Later this week, Google and DVF will be releasing a film titled “DVF through Glass” that will give viewers a behind-the-scenes look at the event using video shot using Glass. The video will be available on the DVF Google+ page and on Google’s YouTube channel on Thursday.

google glass york google google x dvf diane von furstenberg

"I am so excited to introduce Glass to the fashion world and use this revolutionary technology to give everyone a unique perspective into fashion," von Furstenberg said in a prepared statement. "Beauty, style and comfort are as important to Glass as the latest technology," Google co-founder Sergey Brin further highlighted in a statement of his own. "We are delighted to bring Glass to the runway together with DVF."

Google first unveiled Project Glass earlier this year as a wearable heads-up display that could provide access to smartphone-like features and connectivity visually. The device is a product of the “top secret” Google X research and development team and although commercial products are still a few years out, the search giant wanted to get consumer input on the types of features that people would like to see with Glass.

During Google’s I/O conference in June, Brin said consumer versions should be available for purchase sometime in 2014. Developers in attendance were offered the option to pre-order units at $1,500 each that would ship in early 2013.

Permalink to story.

They should make it into a monocle lol, really though like ike said they need to make it into sun glasses or something, instead they are trying to make it stick out

Or be able to incorporate them into my prescription glasses :D.
"Yes can I get the anti-glare coating, the auto-tinting, and Google Glass please?"

It gives the model a fetching, proto-Borg sort of look, like #0.2 of 9 maybe. A pair of those might help Doctor Who keep from getting lost so often among weird, threatening aliens. Provided it comes with a Bluetooth hook-up to Google Maps, of course.

Back