Google infuses Android, iOS Maps app with promoted search results

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The latest version of Google Maps for Android and iOS now includes a dose of targeted advertising. Referred to by the search giant as “relevant ads,” they will appear at the bottom of the screen as an expandable banner after performing a general business search.

Specifically, users will see an ad that includes a title and description of the offer. Tapping or swiping up will reveal more information like the address, phone number, photos and even reviews of the business in question as seen in the example below. These ads are said to operate just like a normal search result would except the business is paying for a prominent position.

google maps ios android ads maps promoted searches

Advertisers will get paid when a user requests more information, gets directions, taps to call the business and taps the ad headline. Free (non-paid) actions include saving business information for later, sharing a business with a friend or starting navigation. Google notes that AdWords will only charge for up to two paid clicks per ad impression.

Google Maps is ripe for the picking as more than a billion people use the service every month. An injection of advertising probably isn’t what most users want to hear but we have to remind ourselves that despite all of the various markets that Google is in, they still rely on advertising revenue for a large portion of their earnings. After all, it’s what affords them the luxury of being able to try experimental projects like Google Glass.

Permalink to story.

The best part about the new google navigation is you can uninstall it and revert back to the old version. I use the phone as a gps all day long for work and would have wiped my phone if I had to to go back to the old version.

My iphone is still on iOS 4 with the original google maps built in app.

Yet another reason not to update/upgrade my phone.

Idk what you guests have against the new google maps, but the new version's GPS kicks apple maps' ***. I can deal with ads by...wait for it...just not clicking on them! Whoa! That solution came from left field!
The new version actually replaced my paid GPS app because the voice guidance is so well done.

Yeah they're easy to ignore. If they annoy you the solution seems really complicated to a lot of guests so let me see if I can simplify... Don't tap or click on them... especially when you're driving.

Yeah they're easy to ignore. If they annoy you the solution seems really complicated to a lot of guests so let me see if I can simplify... Don't tap or click on them... especially when you're driving.
Ironically, it's illegal to use Google Maps while driving in the state of Michigan (and most other states for that matter).

Back