Google looks to take on Messenger and WhatsApp with its new Allo messaging app

midian182

Staff member

Google+ never turned out to be the social network that would topple Facebook, but now the search giant has revealed plans to take on Mark Zuckerberg’s company in another area – instant messaging.

Arriving this summer on Android and iOS, Google's new messaging service, called Allo, will come with all the text, photo, and video sending/receiving features found in similar apps such as Messenger, WhatsApp, and Line, but with a few added extras.

Google is expecting Allo to stand out in the crowded instant messenger market thanks to its heavy use of machine learning and artificial intelligence features, which the company says can "keep your conversations flowing and help you get things done."

One of these features is the inclusion of “Smart Replies,” which is also found in Google’s Inbox email product. It offers short, contextually generated responses that users can tap on instead of typing out a reply. Smart Replies improves over time as the system learns which options users tend to pick, and it even works with images.

Possibly the most impressive aspect of Allo is the fact that Google will be integrating its recently announced digital assistant into the messenger. Google Assistant can answer your questions and perform various tasks, like booking tables at a restaurant, all without you ever having to leave the Allo app.

"We believe users are switching from app to app to get that information [...] and the core of communicating with the people you care about gets lost in that deluge of information," said Google product manager Amit Fulay.

The messenger comes with an incognito mode, which activates end-to-end encrypted messages; a privacy measure that was recently introduced to WhatsApp. This mode will also have discreet notifications and the ability to send Snapchat-style ephemeral messages.

We’ll find out in a few months time if Allo really can take on Messenger and WhatsApp, and not become an IM version of Google+.

Permalink to story.

What happened to Hangout??

They already had an IM platform, why create a new one? I love hangouts and use it daily with friends, the problem are those who don't adopt it, and this comes in to divide the small market they've already got to divide before.

They already had an IM platform, why create a new one? I love hangouts and use it daily with friends, the problem are those who don't adopt it, and this comes in to divide the small market they've already got to divide before.

I just googled it, Hangouts does not use end-to-end encryption like whatsapp, etc that is a pretty major flaw. This one seems to take advantage of that, but uggghhhhhh another app to convince your friends to install...

At one point it was Google Talk, and then they released Hangouts I think along with G+ and then it became the one thing, they might be doing the same now, actually they have been doing this since the msn messenger times lol

If you really look at Allo and Duo, you'll see it's completely different from hangouts. This big thing here is that it doesn't require a google account. Hangouts is fun, but doesn't do half the things this new app will do, and are unfortunately tied to a google account. The only time I use hangouts is for video chats with more than one person. Hangout also doesn't offer end-to-end encryption. You did actually look at the features offered by Allo and Duo, right? These are COMPLETELY different from Hangout, and are much better, in my opinion.

But, I do also see your point. Why not just add these features into Hangout? Perhaps it was just easier to build something new from the ground up than to tear apart a current application to add new features? Although I'll be using Allo and Duo, I'll still be using Hangout for my group video chats.

It'a all about personal preference. I'm looking forward to taking this new IM for a burn around the block but I doubt very much I'll switch from WhatsApp mainly because I like it a lot and everybody I know uses it and feels the same way. Hangouts and I were never the best of friends although the end result was the same.

At one point it was Google Talk, and then they released Hangouts I think along with G+ and then it became the one thing, they might be doing the same now, actually they have been doing this since the msn messenger times lol
The thing is when using Hangouts you must activate your G+ account and who really wants to do that?

The thing is when using Hangouts you must activate your G+ account and who really wants to do that?

No you don't, it's as neccesary as activating your G+ account when creating a gmail account.

If you really look at Allo and Duo, you'll see it's completely different from hangouts. This big thing here is that it doesn't require a google account.

If it is a google product and you don't think will be necessary to have a google account... you are in for a crazy spin =P on the google news page doesn't say anything about not requiring an account and on other news they say it's optional... yeah I think it won't work like that (Disclaimer: I may be wrong).

But, I do also see your point. Why not just add these features into Hangout?

Yeah you did see my point but you still rumbled on the rest for the sake of it... kudos!

On facebook it happened on a different way, they had the chat always and it was just part of it until they branded it into something different, but not being two different products. It's like... having Whatsapp Phone and Whatsapp PC but those are 2 different communication software, on my book that's read as counter-productive.

Perhaps it was just easier to build something new from the ground up than to tear apart a current application to add new features?

Perhaps but if you want to keep a brand alive, you make it so the core of it changes but the looks or the naming convention remains, it wouldn't be more difficult than what they've done already, this is my main point.

If it is a google product and you don't think will be necessary to have a google account... you are in for a crazy spin =P on the google news page doesn't say anything about not requiring an account and on other news they say it's optional... yeah I think it won't work like that (Disclaimer: I may be wrong).

Not may be wrong, but are. They stated at the developers conference that Allo will be tied to your phone number. I have no doubt that you can also tie it to your google account, but it will be primarily based on your phone number.

Back