Google may be working on a second-gen Glass Enterprise model with upgraded hardware

Polycount

Staff

If you've been following the tech industry for more than a couple years, you probably remember Google Glass - Google's not-so-next-gen attempt at creating smart glasses.

Unfortunately, the gadget never picked up much traction with the average consumer, and privacy concerns effectively killed the project before it could ever find its footing.

However, as we've reported numerous times in the past, Google Glass has found a new home in the enterprise market. Warehouse workers, foremen, and others in the workforce have found Glass' Enterprise Edition to be invaluable.

It seems the Enterprise Edition of Glass has proven popular enough to warrant a new iteration. According to 9to5Google, details about a second-gen version of Glass have been leaked, along with several product images.

The new glass will contain a USB-C port for fast charging, as well as several hardware improvements. These improvements include Bluetooth 5.0, LTE, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity tech, in addition to 3GB of RAM and Qualcomm's Snapdragon 710 processor.

Apparently, Glass' camera is also being upgraded to 32mpx (up from 8mpx), with the ability to record 4K and 1080p video at 30 and 60 FPS, respectively.

It's not clear when -- or indeed if -- Google's new Glass model will launch, and we don't know how much it will cost. However, we'll update this article if new information comes to light; official or otherwise.

Image courtesy Mashable, 9to5Google

Permalink to story.

Not only was it a bad idea, there was quite a movement afoot to enforce laws concerning individual privacy on private property. While perfectly legal to wear them on the street or out in a "public" space, the moment the wearer steps into a shop, store, business of any kind it would be considered a "private" space and the wearer could face arrest on a number of different levels. There was a red flag issued to all government facilities on this matter .... I'm surprised Google is still on it, if for no other reason that to give competition to the HoloLens approach ...... time will tell!

I'm not surprised businesses find it useful. Why have employees look down at tablets or the nearest computer screen when you can have that information in front of you at all times. In warehouses alone where you are filling orders tech like this likely boosts productivity by a good margin.

I would say the potential benefits out-way the potential abuses. Keep developing it!

I have seen people be plenty sneaky with a phone which is almost as bad. At least you can see it on someones head and know they might be using it.

Back