Google Nexus 6P Review: An instant favorite

Scorpus

Staff member

Last year’s Nexus 6 wasn’t a hugely successful smartphone, but Google wasn’t simply going to give up on the idea of a great large-screened phone running stock Android. So for 2015’s successor, the company enlisted Huawei to build a new Nexus in a slightly more manageable body and true high-end hardware under the hood. The result is the Nexus 6P, and it’s one of the best Android smartphones you can purchase today.

It comes with a large, beautiful 5.7-inch 1440p display, powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 SoC with 3 GB of RAM. The same camera from the Nexus 5X makes an appearance in the Nexus 6P, complete with its large pixels and 12.3-megapixel resolution, alongside an impressive front facing camera. There’s also a large battery and another awesome Nexus Imprint fingerprint sensor.

The Nexus 6P also comes with the advantage of stock Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

Read the complete review.

Only got mine yesterday, haven't really played with it. I broke my LG G2, which had great battery life, so hoping this one tries to keep up.

It seems nice n fast. Weighty, but then I have already shoved it into a Spigen rugged armor case. Which in itself is nice and snug. Colors seem vibrant. Have a feeling I need to play with them somehow though.

Got mine after the Nexus 6. This phone feels much nicer, build quality is superb (waterproof!) and camera is good enough. Phone is a pinch smaller but I don't notice it myself.

I've had mine for 2 weeks; it really is a great device, and a HUGE step up from my Galaxy S4. And I couldn't beat the price, $50 on a two year plan that was cheaper than my old plan. Totally happy with my purchase.

FYI, the Nexus 6P doesn't run "stock" Android. Nor does any other phone! "Stock" Android is AOSP. Google itself has repeatedly reiterated that the version of Android on Nexus phones is their vision of Android just like the versions that ship on other Android phones is the vision of those companies.

Got mine after the Nexus 6. This phone feels much nicer, build quality is superb (waterproof!) and camera is good enough. Phone is a pinch smaller but I don't notice it myself.

Whoah there, the Nexus 6P is NOT waterproof! Just thought I'd mention that in case you think about showing your friends and "demonstrating"!

Very glad I got this phone. It's big, fast, very solidly built, and stock Android is always nice. Camera is very good, fast to launch and high quality. And the battery life coming from a Nexus 5... holy cats.

Get the official Google case with the cloth back, it really completes the unit and makes it much easier to hold.

Back