Google Nexus 7 Review: The Best $199 Tablet You Can Buy

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/552-google-nexus-7/]https://www.techspot.com/review/552-google-nexus-7/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

"Google and Asus decided to leave out a rear-facing camera on the Nexus 7, instead opting for a lone forward-facing 1.2 megapixel camera"

Best Decision EVER! Whoever thought putting a rear facing camera in a tablet was a good idea should be slapped.

Just wanted to say thank you for writing an article with some truely thoughtful detail. I have read a good number of initial reviews of the Nexus 7; while most who have used the device say the same well reported things, you managed to add a word here or a phrase there, that adds significant data (from my interest) and distinguishes your review.

Hi,
Thanks for the review. What devices does the usb support ? I heard Jelly Bean will support usb audio dacs - can you confirm ?
Thanks again.

I am so looking forward to getting my hands on one of these. I already pre-ordered the 16gb version.

Same here. Especially excited after finding out that Final Fantasy III is available in the Android market. :p

Does anyone know if an external drive can be plugged into the mini-usb and date (ie movies) read from the drive? If so, very useful to me.

My only problem with this is...
it's a small portable media device...
with limited storage as the idea will be to use 'The Cloud'...
but only has WiFi.

So as long as you only want to travel with it around your own home it's fine. Am I being too fussy. It's great product for the price but I would have liked to have the option of a more expensive model with cellular connectivity. I mean even the Kindle e-ink readers have that option and for only downloading books occasionally I think it's not needed. But for a media consumption device like the Nexus 7 I find it strange to not offer it.

You're being a little too fussy, Arris.... You won't get cellular connectivity for this price, but even the Nook Tablet has an SD card. Other reviews have comment sections full of people complaining and even being outraged that there's no microSD card slot. (They're charging $50 for an extra 8GB, which reminds me of Apple's iphone tiers.) SD card means tons of space for a variety of video for the kids on road trips and such.

They advertise it as 'you can use the cloud!' should be ' you HAVE to use the cloud'.

Otherwise looks like an awesome tablet. $200 is a great price point and it's no surprise there's a rumor for an ipad mini. Review mentioned that the screen is locked as portrait. that's probably a launcher thing, as my phone was the same way until I loaded a different launcher.

Maybe I missed it, but how's the 'keyboard'? Is Swype included?

Great article !!!

I've had the iPad's, Android v3 tablets, and even the BB PlayBook, and I've per-ordered this and can't wait for it. Excellent price point and made by one of the best hardware manufactures ASUS.

You're being a little too fussy, Arris.... You won't get cellular connectivity for this price
Wasn't asking for it at that price point, but an option of a more expensive model with cellular would have been nice.
But you are right, I was just thinking of how to use the cloud with only WiFi, but more storage and putting your media on the tablet would be good too. It's this switch to massively overpriced internal storage options that has put me off the latest generation of phones. I have a 32GB microSD with most of my music collection on it in my phone (just a shame the battery isn't a bit better, another thing I think they should focus on instead of more cores that don't really get utilized) so don't appreciate being taxed for built in memory instead of having the option of using what I want.

When people are already asking if USB will work with an external HD you know that the limited storage capacity is falling short of what people want.

Maybe it's just me, but until someone develops an easily interchangeable wireless communications module, I'm fine with WiFi only for my personal electronics units. I like having the ability to work with whatever carrier I'm using at the moment and get a wireless data hotspot, which has the advantage of connecting all of my devices (if I choose to do so). And, I'm not locked into specific carrier options for the life of my tablet due to radio type.

wow, google rocks.

if only google will force telcos to update all android gingerbread devices to at least ics, then my happiness is complete.

I think google would be smart to offer an additional 5gb of Google Drive space in addition to the 5gb they already offer for free, just for purchasers of Nexus 7.

@guest
I agree to an extent. Actually it's already like that, because anything you purchase doesn't go against Drive capacity limits! ......in fact none of the online stores count purchases stored on their cloud against their cloud drive capacity limit!

But another thing people forget when figuring out how much they really need on any one single device, is if syncing has been fully enabled. Where you are also taking advantage of not only your Google Cloud Drive, but your PC, cell phone and the local space on a tablet such as this. We no longer have to worry about having to manage multiple copies of one file spread over all our devices. Instead we can more easily and simply just stream it!

The fastest way to stream content is over bluetooth via Bluetooth 3.0/4.0 fast pairing and streaming protocols. For just transferring large files, then we should be using Wifi Direct on Android devices!

BTW.... so the whole object isn't to have a system of redundancy, where you the same file stored on every drive space. Instead you can manage what content goes to which device most efficiently and the fastest. Wifi for file transfer is faster but terrible at streaming high bit-rate content to a tv screen or other device for streamed play back!

Now.... I have one objection to this review and that's the fact he said nothing about NFC. Didn't even mention what many in business today are calling the next wave innovation in business. That of performing secure file and funding transactions far better and more secure than plastic credit cards. Slated to be the next Multi-Billion Dollar business stomping the use of credit cards out of existence while at it!

$50 for +8GB of storage is over six bucks per gigabyte. That's insane pricing.

Memory installed on the board of a device is rather expensive in the first place. But it's never some rejected Class 2 memory modules like what you're comparing it to. The modules have to be far more expensive modules that are far faster than any memory used in bandwidth bottleneck'd USB memory sticks or even SD cards now at XDSC and very expensive. So price although high, corresponds with the fact that it costs the same to install 8GB as it does a 16GB or 32GB module on a board.

So if they could offer more memory (which they couldn't w/ present board, structure and device size), they probably would have. Even the original ASUS pre final release model shown at CES only had max 16GB memory too. Plus+++ all anyone would ever do is fill extra space with junk files anyway. Because they're too lazy to clean them off, while they enter a nightmare of redundancy with the exact same files stored on every computing device they own and in the clouds too! .....redundancy is just a waste for anyone that's intelligent enough to at least comprehend some of what Google is telling us about what Syncing all our devices can do for us! Instead..... of how Apple would want you to continue buying more memory you don't need in their Fixed Planned Obsolescence Business Model of More for you is always MORE MONEY for THEM!

So I don't feel sorry for either those that have too much money w/o the brains to manage it properly. Money for them that seems to grow on trees and they'd just rather buy a 64GB Wifi iPad for $700. Even though they've got two others sitting in a drawer somewhere less than half filled. These people never even come close to halfway filling all their devices up in the first place. Then there's the cheap ***** supposed converts from those truly over priced devices aiming to discredit Google Nexus 7 out there. When Google is already giving away so much on this device for free. Including Cloud Sync and Storage space in one of the fastest tablet rigs on the market today...... even faster than New iPad A5x with NFC no Apple device will see for ages!

Without Google Sync and Drive to treat all your storage devices on PC's, phones, tablets, notebooks etc as ONE BIG G DRIVE...... where redundancy is a thing of the past and you can STREAM Content and Files in Real Time with Android Beam and Wifi Direct (DLNA) to any Bluetooth 3.0 or Wifi Direct enabled device (but Nexus 7 comes w/ a better Broadcomm Combo radio than original ASUS 7" model), w/ Bluetooth 4.0 version speed & energy savings and latest Wifi Direct speeds! .....they obviously want you to live in the Free Interconnected Future of Google Services in ANDROID@HOME Project!

I totally agree about the HP TouchPad and CM9.

I sincerely hope that someone @ HP has one, and has used it to slap the execs up the side of the head and then show them what the TouchPad could have been ... all they needed to do was work with CyanogenMod, forget all their proprietary crap and they could have had something that could easily have made a dent in iPad sales.

Does the Nexus 7 offer any type of word processing program, like MS Word, etc?

Back