Google opens Chrome Extensions gallery to developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Support for community developed extensions is arguably the main reason why Firefox has grown to be so popular. It allows the addition of features that have specific or limited appeal, and lets people modify the browser more to their liking. Google knows its Chrome browser is well behind in this respect, but the company has actually been testing the functionality for some time in the latest development releases.

Luckily, it appears that a public roll out isn't far away as they have now opened up an extensions gallery for developers to upload their creations. This gallery isn't yet offering any downloads, but Google says that they will open it to a small group of "trusted testers" in the next few days.

The feature will make its official public debut in an upcoming Chrome 4 beta release. In the meantime, those developers who want to slot their add-ons into Chrome can find all the appropriate information here and the option to submit their code for review and approval at the developer dashboard.

The move should help Google attract more developers and end users at a time the company is working hard to extend the browser beyond its current ~3.5 percent market share. It would certainly make life easier for users coming from other browsers -- primarily Firefox -- which may support extensions "they can't live without."

Permalink to story.

I think if Chrome can push out a extension base I would switch to it. It is a much faster browser. I just can't go day to day without a "real" ad-block and noscript. plus all the other little customizations I like to run.

this reminds me of Firefox and its addons. Nice attempt of Google to tap into the power of the pool of developers out there, nonetheless!!

I wonder if Chrome has come to the party too late with the ability to build extensions. Firefox extensions are so numerous that you can pretty much find something to suit your needs.

Let's see what happens.

Agrees with @paynetrain007 again. All I need on my browser is a way to block ads. But really... would google "trust" a tester that built an ad-blocker into a Chrome extension? I wonder. Will keep my eyes peeled on what the google comes up with. Maybe then I'll consider Chrome again.

I would definitely consider switching if proper Adblock and Noscript alternatives were made available - the other extensions I use I could live without. Then again, I look forward to see what Firefox 4 has to offer.

I've been kinda interested in using Chrome, but I'm not a big fan of start-up open source. Well...what I mean is that, I'm probably going to give it a try, but not yet. I just hope it lives up to all the hype I've heard over it.

If in the end it turns out that their addons are just as good or better than those from firefox then we might see many people migrate to Chrome (i'll probably use both). But until then we might actually see FF4.0 role out. (FF 3.6 is already receiving some good reviews)

I guess we'll have to wait and see how these extensions affect the speed of Chrome, after all speed is the reason for using Chrome in the first place. If adding a theme, adblock and some other extensions slows it down noticeably, then you might as well use firefox with its huge add-on collection.

The extensions are good and all..but it'll probably effect chromes speed, which is the reason why most people that use it primarily are using it. I'd much rather stick with firefox anyways...google is already big enough, it doesn't need to compete in browsers imo.

I've been running Chrome of the Dev channel for a while now and I love the extensions that I installed. I've got Adblock+, Flashblock and even RSS.

If you want to try them out before the beta, switch to the dev channel here:
http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

and extensions are already available here:
http://www.chromeextensions.org/

I would think about trying Chrome if it had the popular add-ons, or similar alternatives, that Firefox has, such as Adblock Plus. But, if Chrome extensions cause noticeable drops in the speed of the browser there would be very little reason to make the switch.

I am already sold with the Chrome + Adblock. I just hope they can roll out a similar GreaseMonkey addon.

I use Opera most of the time. The only time I use Firefox is when I go to an internet cafe where they don't have Opera. So this thingy about plug-ins and extensions is new to me. I try to be unique since Firefox is used by virtually everybody.

I'm on a portable version of Google Chrome, distributed by portableapps I'm using the Dev version too, I know there isn't much extension for Chrome yet but I'm quite impressed with what out there so far. But the thing is my chrome toolbar is cluttered.

the only reason that i use firefox is the ton of addons in its kitty but i would not be averse to using another browser which provides me the same and more which would likely be chrome in 2 years ,but i am very attached to my first good browser so i wont let go of it

Where do you get ~3% market share? The latest run rate over the past week is 5%+, and the growth rate has been smooth and steady for months. Unless something drastic changes, the Chrome browser should command over 10% market share by summer 2010 - well on its way to becoming a major player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back