Google Play Nexus 4 sale mess

Arris

Got an order placed before they were out of stock but....

Thank you for your recent purchase on Google Play. Due to overwhelming demand, your Nexus 4 is on backorder and is expected to ship within three weeks. We’ll send you a notification when your order has shipped and will credit the shipping charges.

To check the status of your order at any time, visit the link below: https://wallet.google.com/manage/#transactions

If you would prefer to cancel your order, please reply to this email and our team will assist you. Or you can cancel your order using our online tool. Please follow the instructions found here:
http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/request.py?hl=en&contact_type=devices_cancel_order&rd=1

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you again for your order.

Thanks,
The Google Play Team

Lots of unhappy (ex)customers around the globe from what I've read.

Five past midnight and got an email from Google saying should be shipping this week, and will have shipping costs refunded to make up for the delay. Still a very messy release/retail system but at least it is coming!

I needed to send my SGS3 in warranty, and I was looking for a Nexus 4 just to give it a go, but couldn't find one, so instead I ended up getting the replacement SGS3 (which still is just as crash happy) .......... this tells one thing Google can't compete with some other players in this area as well.

At times I feel like I'm not missing anything with the latest and greatest smartphones and should just stick with my Desire HD(Think it's like an EVO in US), with its 1 GHz processor and 800x480 display and save my money instead.

Yesterday a new batch of phones was supposed to become available at 12pm PST. Seven minutes later and the shopping cart would only show errors. Needless to say I was unable to buy the phone for a cousin and told him to get a HTC One X instead.

The price is great, but the specs are similar to other top end phones. If money wasn't a question I'd probably go for One X+ or Droid DNA as my last two phones have been HTCs. Before this phone my top choice was going to be a Motorola Razr Maxx HD for it's massive battery.

I am currently looking into app development for work so having a vanilla Android device that I can deploy apps to for testing is a boon, I've found the Android AVD emulators less than responsive.

Hoorah!! Should be here today with any luck.

[FONT=verdana]Great news! Your order on Google Play has shipped. Track the status of your package TNT #XYZ. Note that it may take 24 hours for your tracking number to return any information.[/FONT]

One X is a great phone, but with one little caveat, in certain conditions under heavy load it gets hot. I think in warmer conditions it may heat up pretty quickly.

I can get SGS3 pretty 'warm' under full load as well. This brings another issue into perspective, I.e. throttling to protect SoC. I think this same issue also stops Nexus 4 from operating at full speeds all the time. Probably, with current tech. they may have started hitting the wall in terms of consistent achievable clock speeds.

Good luck with your shiny new N4 Arris, hopefully it will arrive soon ;)

Loving this phone so far. With sale of the old Desire HD it cost me around £170($270) for the 16GB version.
Sucks not having all my music on it but will just have a selection, and having unlimited data I can just stick it all in the free Box 50GB storage and grab it when I need it. Although I have experienced the suicidal tendencies that I saw reported with the phone. It managed to throw itself off a mantlepiece and bend the USB cable. Fortunately the charging port on the phone is ok and the phone just suffered a small blemish to the chrome effect surround to the screen.

Good for you that its screen survived. I once damaged HTC Sensation's touch screen while trying to 'liberate' a dead sparrow from an electric point cover with a viper, but unfortunately, when I jumped up to reach the unlucky sparrow's carcass HTC Sensation popped out of my shirt's pocket and landed on the ground from roughly 7/8 feet and ended up having lots of dead pixels almost exactly in the shape of a ....................................... sparrow. :(

Luckily, after much search I was able to find a Sensation with dead SoC but perfectly working screen and paid 'reasonably' good price to get it installed in my unit.

Been trying a little "Dead Trigger" and it runs so well on this handset. Also just picked up the GTA III 10th Anniversary version for Android and it promises to be a nice little entertainer too.

Yesterday I had the chance to have a go at Nexus 4, it feels whole lot better in the hand compared to my S3; and build quality seems to be much better as well. I like the screen, in fact I think I'd prefer it over S3 any day. :).

Performance is pretty snappy as well (well thanks to pure OS, with no nonsense slapped on top of it). Under load SoC throttling seems to slow down things a bit. Also just 16GB (let alone 8GB) storage isn't going to be much for someone who put lots of multimedia files on their smartphone.Overall nice package for the price, but I don't think I like it enough to buy one :p

Got a few larger games and 5GB of music on mines and the space left is close to only 1GB. Might change phone again sooner rather than later but will see how I can manage with using the 50GB of Box storage that came free with it.

One of the major disadvantages of owning a Nexus phone ........ but hey, there are lots of good alternatives around. I think HTC DNA is good one, along with upcoming Xperia Z/ZL. Personally (while staying in android ecosystem) I think HTC's M7 (code name for some upcoming high end phone) may be a very good choice, 1080p 4.7" is a nice sweet spot.

Being without a contract I found the Nexus 4 pricing too good to resist. Now just have to resist the tempting specs of all the upcoming models. If I was looking for a contract I'd maybe have considered an HTC or other more expensive handset.

Fair enough, I never bothered with 'contract' + smartphone deals, and always buy factory unlocked units. A little extra money saves one from lots of hassle.

Back