Google Redirect problem - followed 8 step guide, logs attached - help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm rather desperate as I seem to have caught a virus that redirects me to dodgy web pages from Google and I can't seem to get rid of it. I've managed to get rid of the 'System Tools' bogus virus program that kept opening all the time but there still seems to be a problem with Google searches although I have tried it again since completing the 8 steps.

What should i do next??

I'm attaching the 3 logs from Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSPyware and Hijackthis.

I am going to ask you a series of question that I would like you to answer so we can help you the best we can from what you may have, seeing there are many different types of re-directs people can pick up.
  • Are you getting re-directed when you type in google.com?
  • When you use google and search something, do you get re-directed?
  • If so, how often (for ever 4 websites, how many get re-directed)?
  • Is it using certain search engines like yahoo, google, etc.?
  • Do some search engines work and others get re-directed?
  • Does any site load when clicked on?
  • Do the sites have a pattern? Are they the same?

You can attempt to fix the re-direct with a temporary fix, but will have to fix the entire thing later. Many people have been saying that if you temporarily change a Web Browsers Name, it will stop for a bit until we can clean this virus off of your computer. Try changing Internet Explorer to Belkin or something.. (Belkin is the name of a USB device i have laying next to me :D) I will review your logs. Please be patient.

Novice seeking guidance

First of all thank you for taking the time to respond. It is really appreciated.

There is a slight update since I first posted in that i have ran Combofix which appears to have resolved most of the google issues although not all. Something strange is happening with hotmail for example. I can log in and use hotmail however the icon in the address bar is not the hotmail site's icon (it is lloyd tsb bank's icon!) and I get message about viewing messages over a connection that is not secure - I'm sure this is not the case with hotmail - i'd be v.surprised if it was! These are the only symptoms I've noticed since Combofix although I am not using the internet or pc as much due to concerns I have so there may be others. But given this I'm still suspicious all is not well.

Taking your questions:

Are you getting re-directed when you type in google.com? NO
When you use google and search something, do you get re-directed? NOT ANYMORE SINCE COMBOFIX
If so, how often (for ever 4 websites, how many get re-directed)? NONE NOW BUT WAS ALL BEFORE CF
Is it using certain search engines like yahoo, google, etc.? IT WAS YES
Do some search engines work and others get re-directed? NOT NOW, DIDN'T TRY ANY OTHERS BEFORE SO DON'T KNOW
Does any site load when clicked on? NO THEY DIDN'T BEFORE EXCEPT YAHOO ANSWERS. IT WAS THE ONLY THING THAT WAS OK. TO VIEW PAGES I EITHER HAD TO TYPE THEM IN, USE A FAVOURITE OR USE THE IE8 FACILITY TO OPEN IN NEW TAB.
Do the sites have a pattern? Are they the same? NO IT WAS INDISCRIMINATE -

Any help greatly appreciated. Let me know if worth redoing any logs following CF. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back