Google Redirect.. still happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsRissB

Hello, I was having the problem of links being redirected. I found your site and followed the eight step directions. Nothing came up detected, but I think I am still having the problem. Also yesterday and today, my computer had a system error where it just all of a sudden restarted on it's own and then said it just recovered from a possible error or something. Am I doing something wrong? Here are my logs. Thanks so much for your help!

Are you running a dial up Internet connection or are you running AOL hi-speed? Turn off System Restore by going into Control Panel, System, Advanced... Uncheck any checked boxes and restart. Your scans are clean, and Symantec Antivirus is running and updating properly, right? Have you deleted all the Internet cookies?

Thanks for responding. I am turning off the system restore now. But just this morning twice now, the computer has just shut off on its on and restarted. It then tells me "the system has recovered from a serious error. What is going on? Also Norton is not finding anything but the cookies. I fix those and still have the problem.

Wow! I sure see a lot of 'stuff' loading on startup! That means it's running in the background. Possibility the system crashes when it runs out of RAM to use.

It would be interesting to know how much RAM is installed. And the since file sharing program Ares is loading on startup and running in the background, it could be grabbing a big hunk of it!

Consider turning System Restore back on. You have now lost all the restore points that would have been available.

Please consider these things.

"Consider turning System Restore back on. You have now lost all the restore points that would have been available"...

Many times after applying driver or other updates over time, the restore points are useless anyway. When your system is up and running fine, this would be the time to start System Restore fresh. There have been so many Microsoft Updates over the last few months, that I would recommend that everyone delete all restore points by unchecking the checked box and then checking the box... simple, right Bobbye ;)

Many times after applying driver or other updates over time, the restore points are useless anyway

This has not been my experience. I have had a desktop running for almost 7 years and I have not lost my restore points nor have they become corrupt.

Incidentally, I created a shortcut for System Restore and put it in my Quick Launch Toolbar. It's very handy and a good reminder to set my own restore points before I update, download, uninstall, uninstall or do anything else that could possibly affect my system to the point of needing to do a System Restore..

While restore points are usually created by the system about every 24 hours, the system has to be on for this to be done.

Bobbye,
have you ever initiated a system restore? I work on a lot of older (4+ years old) computers, and in my experience, the restore function caused more problems that it solved. System restore files over time, take up a lot of hard drive space. You have never acknowledged that a system restore file can and does shield and allow replication of virus and malware infections...

Tmagic, I am ending my comments here after this:
1. I have had to use System Restore.
2.You can find information about how System Restore disc 'space' is handled HERE .
You have never acknowledged that a system restore file can and does shield and allow replication of virus and malware infections...

That is not correct. Search the other thread for my previous comment on this.

MrsRissB, my apology if the discussion has caused any confusion.

Ok, so I am still having the redirect problem and the shutting off problem. I uninstalled Ares and other things. Also ran everything again and still no errors. I am not sure what else to do. I have not turned system restore back on either. Any ideas guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back