Google removes Project Fi invite requirement, now open to all with supported smartphone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google late last year lifted the invite-only requirement attached to its wireless network service Project Fi, but only for a single day. Now, the search giant has permanently removed the hurdle meaning anyone with a compatible device can sign up for Google's wireless service.

Google announced Project Fi last April. For those not familiar, Google is acting as an mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) here – leaning on service from both T-Mobile and Sprint to power the Project Fi network. What's more, the service utilizes millions of free, open Wi-Fi hotspots. Users don't have to manage the separate networks as Google takes care of all of this behind the scenes, resulting in seamless operation on the customer's end.

Arguably the most attractive feature of Project Fi is its pricing scheme. Rather than waste money on unused data, Google refunds the cost of unused data each month meaning you only pay for the data you use (on top of a $20 fee each month for unlimited talk and text).

In a blog post announcing the move, Google said that more than 15 percent of its customers have used Project Fi abroad. What's more, customers have visited 110 of their 120+ supported countries – pretty neat.

The one major restriction that interested parties still must adhere to relates to compatible devices. At present, only the Nexus 6, Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X work with Project Fi (all Google-branded smartphones). Google hasn't yet said if it plans to open up the service to other (outside) devices or not.

Lead image via Droid Life

Permalink to story.

I'm not too sure about this, the thing I like best on my phone is the data for wifi is free and unmetered. I only pay for data over the cell connection. I don't want to have to start paying for my wifi connections too.

I'm not too sure about this, the thing I like best on my phone is the data for wifi is free and unmetered. I only pay for data over the cell connection. I don't want to have to start paying for my wifi connections too.

Heh? You don't pay for data while on wifi..... where did you find that?

Really? As far as I know all phones are like that, my daughter has my old verizon phone and even though there is no cell service for it anymore, she can use it on wifi to watch movies, browse the net and use email, etc. All for free without a carrier bill at all.
She can even call me using skype for free.

Really? As far as I know all phones are like that, my daughter has my old verizon phone and even though there is no cell service for it anymore, she can use it on wifi to watch movies, browse the net and use email, etc. All for free without a carrier bill at all.
She can even call me using skype for free.
I don't think you've ever had to pay for Wi-Fi... Other than the bill from your internet provider ofc.

Do you actually use all that data? I have the 1gb plan and my bill every month is only $13, I am always near wifi so I get money back...
No, I don't use that plan, I was just comparing two plans with the same minutes. I use data for traveling in the mountains with navigation web etc.

You're still better off using Republic Wireless...
I have consumer cellular and it's 25.00 a month less for the unlimited talk and text with 3gb data compared to republic wireless.
$55.00 vs $30.00

Do you actually use all that data? I have the 1gb plan and my bill every month is only $13, I am always near wifi so I get money back...

How do you get the bill to be under $20?

No, I don't use that plan, I was just comparing two plans with the same minutes. I use data for traveling in the mountains with navigation web etc.

Yeah it really depends on how much you actually use, no need to pay for more if you aren't going to use it every month, but if you do than yes it'd be a great plan, but I struggle to go over 100mb, always near wifi.

You're still better off using Republic Wireless...
I have consumer cellular and it's 25.00 a month less for the unlimited talk and text with 3gb data compared to republic wireless.
$55.00 vs $30.00

How do you get the bill to be under $20?

They basically only charge you for the data you use.

so you take the $25 plan it comes with unlimited everything but data, it comes with 1gb of data, depending on how of it you actually use within the month they give you money back. They also have a $10 a month plan for unlimited everything but data.

I travel to our home in the mountains and it's 225 miles there so I use some data on those trips, and my wife is still working as a teacher and watches netflix at lunch.

Back