Google Street View Hyperlapse lets you animate your trip

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A small independent unit within Teehan+Lax tasked with exploring the creative use of technology in the digital channel has come up with a pretty neat invention called Google Street View Hyperlapse. As the name suggests, the app builds a time lapse animation using Street View imagery that’s rather impressive.

The initial goal of the project was to use Street View as an aid to make hyper-lapse photography easier but the team quickly discovered that it could be used as the source material instead. From there, Labs created a usable UI around their engine and release Google Street View Hyperlapse.

Users can view predetermined routes or create their own with a starting and stopping point. The settings on the site are purposely low to enable greater accessibility. For example, animations are limited to a maximum of 60 frames although the source code is available on Github for anyone that wants to toy with higher frame rates, better image quality and additional camera movements.

I tested the application and quickly realized that it’s best to map out short trips due to the limited number of frames. Furthermore, the only serious drawback I found is that the animation zips by way too fast. Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be any way to slow it down – just an option to press the spacebar to stop it completely. This seemed to be a common complaint among users in the comments section and with any luck, Labs will address this in a future update.

Permalink to story.

I really liked the rotate effect, looked awesome when they followed the planes. Cool Stuff!

This video blew me away. I'm quite impressed by the video alone, but the feature seems like it will become very popular. I can see a few way people would use this, albeit maybe not always up to date, but a considerable reference point. The entertainment possibilities, like Google Earth, seem almost infinite, as well as educational.

Just created one for my normal commute and it's extremely jerky, points off in different directions randomly. It does look promising from the video, but it's far off from the reality of it.

Back