Google throws shade at LG and Samsung in '113 reasons to switch to the Pixel 6' video

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Google's Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro have been receiving plenty of positive reviews, but that hasn't stopped the company from releasing a video giving 113 reasons why it thinks you should switch to one of its handsets—and it contains a few shots at tech rivals, including Samsung and LG.

The Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro video kicks off with what is likely some shade-throwing at LG. "113 reasons you should switch to Google Pixel when the maker of your old phone stops making phones" are the first words you hear. LG, of course, finally exited the phone business back in April following six years of losses, and Google wants to grab some former users.

There's more mockery at number 30. The narrator states that while Google is known for organizing the internet and mapping the world, other smartphone makers are better known for "other things." The image of a washing machine seems to target Samsung in particular.

Reason number 70 mentions choosing a Pixel 6 over an old, trendy, more expensive "thing," which sounds like Apple could be the target here.

Most of the reasons are obviously pretty jokey—the letter X is cool, someone might accidentally give you a pickle—and plenty of the mentioned features are found on other phones, such as locked folders. But we do hear about some of the Pixel 6 handsets' best elements: the cameras and their features ("if you know, you know"), battery life, price, AI-powered call screening, etc.

Google was itself the target of some shade throwing recently. Qualcomm posted a cheeky tweet taking aim at the company for dropping its SoCs in favor of the search giant's Tensor chip in the Pixel 6.

Permalink to story.

The Pixel 6 SOC is performing on 2017-2018 level? How is it even possible to make it that slow.

Is it using GLOFO 12 nm 😂

It seems that many companies are making their own CPUs these days...

I looked at benchmarks of the Google Tensor CPU, and it seems to have similar performance to the snapdragon 855, which is great, but not as fast as snapdragon 865(+) or snapdragon 888(+). The price of the new pixel is competitive for the performance though.

I have the LG V60 which has the 865. Since LG are no longer making phones, my next one will likely be Sony or OnePlus.

It seems that many companies are making their own CPUs these days...

I looked at benchmarks of the Google Tensor CPU, and it seems to have similar performance to the snapdragon 855, which is great, but not as fast as snapdragon 865(+) or snapdragon 888(+). The price of the new pixel is competitive for the performance though.

I have the LG V60 which has the 865. Since LG are no longer making phones, my next one will likely be Sony or OnePlus.

It also happens on the Datacenter level: pretty sure giants like Facebook are developing their own custom silicon too, AWS has Graviton, etc.

It makes sense if you think about just how ridiculously close we are to stopping almost all progress unless we have major breakthroughs in processor fabrication and by having custom hardware that's optimized for, you can keep escalating for a bit longer instead of having to deal with much more difficult problems when Samsung or TSMC literally can't go any smaller.

It's also why there's a very big push to "cloud" solutions which just means that you make a business out of running incomprehensibly large data centers most companies would never be able to afford but are pushing close to actually needing if they want any more performance increases.

Yeah I’m not watching a 10 minute Google ad on YouTube which would probably have ads shoved around and in the middle of it if I didn’t have an Adblock. All whilst Google collects your data and sells it on to other corporations.

I already know I don’t want to switch to a Pixel because it runs Android!

Makes sense when google wants the chinese market and those phone markers are in the crosshairs of said state

They are so busy trying to grab a few random LG Transfer Students that they completely forgot what drew the majority of its customers to the platform - lightweight and simple devices.

That new phone platform is massive to hold in-hand (entry has grown in bulk from 150g to a big-boy-meal-sized 210g in a single generation
- all previous entry-level Pixels hit this same weight target)

The other thing they completely bungled was the long tradition of amazing fingerprint scanners. - there is nothing approaching the ease-of-use on these new boys.

There are too many caveats for this new platform to get the wave of sales the fanboys were expecting - and this is why Google is reduced to Cheap Tricks like this (or saying proudly "this is the perfect smartphone for real-time-translation of German," while forgetting how few people actually use that feature on a weekly basis.)

Last edited:
I might get one, but not til spring. Let the early birds find the bugs, not to mention the price might come down a bit.

I feel Google is digging their grave faster by doing this. The reason for the success of Android is mostly due to companies like Samsung, and Chinese phone makers driving that number. Now that they are directly competing with them and at the same time, poking at them, I feel it is a matter of time some phone makers may pull the plug on Android. It is not an easy decision, but if they are at a disadvantage, why would they continue to support their competitor? In addition, they buy parts from these companies. So I don't think it is wise to throw your business partners under the bus. I don't think the likes of Apple actually name and shame other brands. The generally talk about difference in chipset/ SOC/ specs, but don't call out certain phone makers.

Back