Google to phase out Nexus 4, successor spied in promo KitKat clip

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google’s Nexus 4 received a price cut of $100 late last month and as you can imagine, the smartphones went pretty quickly at that price in the Google Play Store. The 8GB model sold out a couple of days ago and if you were hoping it’d be back in stock in the near future, you’re out of luck.

In what can only be described as a clearance sale, Google has confirmed the 8GB model will not be returning to the Google Play Store. Not all is lost, however, as the 16GB variant can still be had for just $249 although we have no way of knowing how much inventory remains. If I were a betting man, I’d say the 16GB also won’t be returning for an encore once the current stock is all spoken for.

google nexus 8gb google smartphone nexus 4

It’s clear at this point that Google is moving out old inventory to make way for a revised Nexus handset. That device, collectively dubbed the Nexus 5, may have inadvertently been leaked in a promo video for Android 4.4 KitKat.

In that clip, a Google employee is seen snapping photos of the new KitKat lawn ornament. The device itself bears the Nexus logo horizontally (with the device held in landscape mode) as well as a matte finish and a large camera lens that hasn’t shown up on previous Nexus products.

Normally a leak like this would be classified as a bit of targeted advertising but Google has since removed the clip from their YouTube channel.

Permalink to story.

Couldn't one simply just ask the people in the video? they are real people with real lives and have real friends, very easy to track down and just ask...

Verizon had better get their heads out of their asses and jump on this phone. I'm getting tired of HTC-rizon, if it means I'll have a better phone selection I wouldn't mind jumping ship to a different carrier.

It'd be interesting to see if Google going to sell Nexus 5 also around the same price tags as Nexus 4 when it arrived.. specially given that Nexus brand name is well established now.

It would be nice if the new nexus would have a lot of advanced features... Android, where are you? "I'm in your pocket. You @#%$!, said the Android" Woa! My Android has an attitude and I luv it!

N4 was released October 2012! Only one year. :p But mobile handsets change so often that a year is a new release cycle, I guess.

Back