Google unveils the Pixel Fold, Pixel Tablet, and Pixel 7a at I/O 2023

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? At its latest I/O conference on Wednesday, Google announced a number of new hardware products, including the Pixel Fold, the Pixel Tablet, and the Pixel 7a mid-range smartphone. Starting off with the Fold, it is Google's first folding phone, and costs an eye-watering $1,799. It has a smartphone form-factor when folded, but unfurls into a compact tablet that's perfect for watching movies on the go. The Fold has a 5.8-inch 120Hz FHD+ OLED screen on the outside and a 7.6-inch 2K 120Hz OLED panel on the inside.

The device is powered by the Tensor G2 chipset, and comes with 12GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 256GB or 512GB of UFS 3.1 internal storage. There's also a 4,821mAh battery with 21W wired charging and 7.5W wireless charging support. In addition, the phone has a side-mounted capacitive fingerprint scanner and IPX8 water resistance.

On the imaging front, the Pixel Fold comes with a 48MP wide main sensor, a 10.8MP ultrawide shooter, and a 10.8MP telephoto camera at the rear, alongside a 9.5MP wide-angle snapper in the front and an 8MP selfie cam on the inside. It runs Android 13 and Google is offering up to 3 years of Android updates and 5 years of security updates for the device.

Then there's the Pixel Tablet, which costs $499 and goes on sale June 20. It features an 11-inch 2560 x 1600 LCD display and is also powered by the Tensor G2, like the Pixel Fold. It comes with 8GB of RAM alongside 128GB and 256GB storage options, but misses out on cellular connectivity. It can be charged wirelessly via a magnetic dock that also doubles as a speaker. The device has two 8MP cameras, one each on the back and the front.

On the software side, the Pixel Tablet runs Android 13 out of the box, and Google is promising up to three years of OS updates and five years of security patches. The tablet has Chromecast built-in, allowing you to mirror movies etc. from your phone or laptop.

Finally, there's the Pixel 7a smartphone with a $499 price tag. It features a 6.1-inch 90Hz FHD+ OLED screen with Gorilla Glass 3 protection, and is powered by the Tensor G2 SoC. The device comes with 8GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 128GB of UFS 3.1 storage, alongside a 4,410mAh battery with 18W wired and 7.5W wireless charging.

On the imaging front, it has a dual-camera setup at the back, including a 64MP Sony IMX787 main sensor and a 13MP Sony IMX712 ultrawide shooter. On the front, it has a 13MP Sony IMX355 camera for selfies and video chats. The device comes with an IP67 water resistance rating and runs Android 13 out of the box.

Permalink to story.

Nvidia doesn't give enough vram because they want to encourage you to buy the A100, Google doesn't give any memory card slots because they want to encourage you to buy the cloud, it gets annoying to watch good hardware wasted in the name of "encouragement".

Imagine a company that produces cars and sliding trailers and selling the cars without luggage space just to promote and the trailer sales. :)

Nvidia doesn't give enough vram because they want to encourage you to buy the A100, Google doesn't give any memory card slots because they want to encourage you to buy the cloud, it gets annoying to watch good hardware wasted in the name of "encouragement".

Imagine a company that produces cars and sliding trailers and selling the cars without luggage space just to promote and the trailer sales. :)
My last phone (Pixel 5) and my current phone (S23) don't have microSD slots, and it hasn't bothered me one bit. It was handy having one on my S7 when I was installing a new custom rom every other week, but I don't bother with roms anymore.

I wish Google would have used the Nexus approach with the release of their first folding phone.
Take a hit on the price, which would encourage more people to test the waters of a folding device.
$1700.00 (might as well say $2,000.00 with shipping & tax) for a first generation folding device is
just crazy.

Tensor G2 is pretty damn slow and I can't believe they didn't hold off on the fold until Tensor G3 and Exynos 2400 was ready. $1700 for already outdated and slow SoC, they can get stuffffed. And only 3 years of OS updates, they can doubly get stufffffed.

Last edited:
Back