Google unwraps Android 5.1 with dual-SIM support, HD calling and additional device safeguards

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google android dual-sim apple samsung htc mobile os mobile operating system nexus 9 nexus 6 lollipop android lollipop android 5.1 hd calling device protection

What better way to rain on your competitor’s parade than to release the first major update to your mobile operating system just hours after their event. That’s exactly what Google has done with Android 5.1, an update to Lollipop that includes a few new features as well as improved stability and performance.

For starters, Android 5.1 now allows users to use more than one SIM card on a device with dual SIM slots. This could come in handy if you’re using a pre-paid service while traveling or happen to share a phone with a family member.

The new update for Lollipop also delivers high definition (HD) Voice calls to compatible handsets such as the Nexus 6 for T-Mobile and Verizon subscribers. Other basic enhancements include the ability to join Wi-Fi networks and control paired Bluetooth devices from within Quick Settings.

google android dual-sim apple samsung htc mobile os mobile operating system nexus 9 nexus 6 lollipop android lollipop android 5.1 hd calling device protection

But perhaps the most important addition is a service called Device Protection.

For those unlucky enough to need to use it, Device Protection ensures your device will remain locked if lost or stolen, even if someone manages to restore said device to factory defaults. The only way to unlock a missing device is by signing in with your Google account. We’re told this feature will be available on most Android phones and tablets shipped with Android 5.1 as well as Google’s own Nexus 6 and Nexus 9.

Google’s line of Nexus devices are expected to receive the update first, perhaps as early as today. Those with Android devices from other manufacturers like HTC and Samsung will likely have to play the waiting game considering 5.0 is still actively rolling out to some.

Permalink to story.

Google unwraps Android 5.1 with dual-SIM support

Wrap it back in, Google, I had a phone with dual sim support 5 years ago, before Android came into being. This is like Apple planning to include NFC 10 years from now. It's a shame.

And here I am still waiting on Android 5.0 :(
The rollout for android is so damn slow for Samsung. I have the S4 and so far all I've heard was, its coming soon, for the past 3 months...

Wrap it back in, Google, I had a phone with dual sim support 5 years ago, before Android came into being. This is like Apple planning to include NFC 10 years from now. It's a shame.

There are lots of Android phones with dual sims. I'm not sure what the deal is with this feature.

I too Brutus am awaiting my OTA lollipop update for my LG G2. Some people reckon this is what they were waiting for, the 5.1, the big bug fix. Then go over a few tweaks with what they already have and roll it out.

However I just think it is being super slow. If it is 5.1 I get, I will be glad they waited. Because if I get 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 I know its gonna be Xmas next year when 5.1 rolls out for my phone.

Having said that I just want the Official over the air to come out so if I do root my LG G2 finally which has run fine on its stock rom, then my modded rom shouldnt suck too much.

Having the CM12 lollipop variant on my nexus 7 grouper ( yes the wifi only original version ) I can safely say, its kinda crap, laggy, and would rather be back on kit kat which may well happen this week out of boredom.

And here I am still waiting on Android 5.0 :(
The rollout for android is so damn slow for Samsung. I have the S4 and so far all I've heard was, its coming soon, for the past 3 months...
Yeah I'm not sure how it all works, I think it may be carrier related. My S4 was upgraded to Lollipop a few weeks ago but I've since replaced it with a Galaxy A5 which is a much newer device yet that came with Kit Kat preinstalled. It will be upgraded to Lollipop, I just don't know when and I'm not really concerned either.

I'd get excited about a new update but Sony are still lagging behind on getting 5.0 to my Z3. *yawn*

Or if you want a more realistic comparison perhaps you could give an estimate on when you think Apple are going to add dual sim support. Dual sim has been supported on some Android phones for quite some time, I.e. the ones with dual sim slots, it just hasn't been a part of Google's core code until 5.1.

What are these new versions worth if there is like no adpotion of them? I'm still stuck on JB 4.2.1 and it would be easier for me to find a treasure chest than a person with Android Lollipop on his phone.

What are these new versions worth if there is like no adpotion of them? I'm still stuck on JB 4.2.1 and it would be easier for me to find a treasure chest than a person with Android Lollipop on his phone.
It's a conspiracy to get everyone to buy new hardware. ;)

Back