Google Voice offers number porting for $20

Emil

Staff

Google has announced Number Porting for all existing Google Voice users, and said it will become available to new users within the next few weeks. The new feature allows you to make the mobile number you've always used your Google Voice number. Porting your number to Google Voice costs $20 and typically takes 24 hours.

To get started, log in to your Google Voice account, go to the Settings page, and click on Change / Port next to your Google Voice number. Your mobile service plan will then be cancelled automatically (you might incur an early termination fee from your carrier).

After porting your number to Google Voice, you'll have to perform a couple more steps outlined on the Google Voice Help Center to continue making and receiving calls on your mobile device. You can begin a new contract with a different number and sign that number up under your new Google Voice number.

This feature is definitely intriguing, especially if your contract with your carrier is about to expire. For everyone else, it's something to look forward to. Unfortunately, Google Voice is still only available in the US.

Permalink to story.

Sadly, Google voice has limited application in the business world due to its continued inability to dial an extension when forwarding calls (i.e. it cannot call a number followed by an extension to reach the user at his/her office). A lot of us have been requesting this feature since Google Voice came out, but to no avail. If Google ever added this feature, Google Voice would really be a killer app!

I'm sorry, but it's easier (and cheaper) just to get a Google Voice number and give it to your friends. I just read through everything on the link and it's easier, less time consuming, and cheaper just to get a Google Voice number and email it to your contacts. You still get all the benefits of Google Voice, and it only takes a few minutes to set up.

This is just a big hassle and waste of money. Sorry Google, but that's the truth. I love GV, it has been good to me, haven't had any issues (other than the fact that some of my friends don't mumble making voicemail transcriptions useless). Seriously people, just get a GV#, forward it to your phone(s), email the GV# to your friends and move on. It's the same thing as what's in this article, only easier and cheaper.

matrix86 said:
I'm sorry, but it's easier (and cheaper) just to get a Google Voice number and give it to your friends.

This is less about you and your friends and more about you and your clients, your students, your co-workers, businesses and other non-friend people.

If you aren't making money with your phone number OR trying to maintain control over who has your real phone number, then don't do it.

Rick said:
matrix86 said:
I'm sorry, but it's easier (and cheaper) just to get a Google Voice number and give it to your friends.

This is less about you and your friends and more about you and your clients, your students, your co-workers, businesses and other non-friend people.

If you aren't making money with your phone number OR trying to maintain control over who has your real phone number, then don't do it.

Let me rephrase my statement:
I'm sorry, but it's easier (and cheaper) just to get a Google Voice number and give it to everyone.

There, lol.

On the other hand, here's something that just hit me...if you're using a bluetooth headset or use voice dialing, you don't have the option to call using your GV#. So porting would be the better option. Right now when I call someone, it asks if I want to call using GV, so it's not a big deal unless I want to make a call through voice dialing (via bluetooth headset or that button on the side of my phone). So I guess depending on how much you use voice dialing, it depends on whether or not you really need to do the porting thing.
Otherwise, as I stated before, just email your GV# to all your contacts and tell them it's your new number. Not that hard.

Back