Google will bring Android games to both Windows 10 and Windows 11

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: Earlier this year, one of the documents used in the Epic vs. Apple trial revealed that Google has been secretly working on a vision for a cross-platform Android gaming service. Now the company has confirmed as much, but we’ll have to wait until next year to find out what it’s all about.

When Microsoft first announced Windows 11, it made a big selling point that it would open the Microsoft Store to apps built using a variety of desktop and web technologies. At the same time, it also promised to bring Android apps to Windows 11 users via Amazon’s Appstore.

As of writing, you can only install Amazon’s Appstore if you’re enrolled in the Windows Insider Program (beta channel). The feature that allows you to install and run Android apps is called the Windows Subsystem for Android, which is similar in many ways to the Windows Subsystem for Linux that has been available in Windows 10 for a while. The experience is somewhat similar to running Android apps on Chrome OS, with the caveat that you’re limited to the few apps available on Amazon’s Appstore.

However, that may change in the near future as Google, too, wants a piece of the Android action on Windows.

The company made a surprise announcement at The Game Awards where it revealed it will bring Android games to Windows 10 and Windows 11 PCs. The functionality will arrive through a desktop Play Games app, and Google says you’ll be able to sync game data like progress and achievements between Android, Windows, and Chrome OS.

The new app wasn’t developed in partnership with Microsoft, and doesn’t rely on the same integration as the Amazon Appstore in order to work. Google didn’t offer any details about the technology behind it, but it’s safe to assume it will use some kind of emulation to enable Android games to run under a Windows environment. The company only confirmed the games will run locally instead of being streamed from the cloud.

Google says Play Games for Windows will be available next year and that a more in-depth reveal is coming “soon.”

Image credit: Soumil Kumar

Permalink to story.

This could be HUGE.
So far Microsoft is killing it in the gaming industry with their decisions the past few years. From bringing Xbox games to PC to improving their streaming service to cloud services to Android games on Windows.

If only we got this instead of GFW and publishers released games when they were finished. That last one looks like it will take a while to eliminate.

We have mice so we dont have to deal with a inferior input.
Type of input depends on game. Mouse works for certain ones, but for simulation or arcade is a poor choice. Touch screen is best input for many rhytm games.

...and Microsoft will bring windows to mobile phones...
oh wait, that already happened and this is the result.
I already feel sorry for the people who will purchase to play on windows and will have no support when it will not run as expected

I’d rather see a company bring Windows games to Android, or rather another, better ARM based platform. The only personal machine I actively use with Windows is my gaming PC and that’s beginning to feel like a piano now, I only sit there to play. I dont even have anything installed but games launchers on my PC.

Why call windows 11 downgrade ?? did you use it ??

I have been using windows 11 for weeks. Have no issues
Did you even read the article? I get it, there are unicorn PCs that it runs great on. That and as an IT this is a nightmare in my organization because of several reasons that I just don't care to waste my time explaining to someone like you what is in 95% of Windows 11 articles. Seems the majority agrees with me on this. Perhaps you should read the article, and listen to other people, because many people are having problems with Windows 11.

Did you even read the article? I get it, there are unicorn PCs that it runs great on. That and as an IT this is a nightmare in my organization because of several reasons that I just don't care to waste my time explaining to someone like you what is in 95% of Windows 11 articles. Seems the majority agrees with me on this. Perhaps you should read the article, and listen to other people, because many people are having problems with Windows 11.
There are also many many many people that do not have any problems with Windows 11. There are also people that have no problem with Linux distros and a a lot of people that do have a problem with Linux distros.

I have been a in IT for many many years.

I have found no problems with Windows 11 that cant be worked out just like Windows 10 and problems that need worked out.

Every OS and New version of OSs has plus and minuses. Every OS has its issues. 11 is directed at more modern hardware so I am sure that like all OSs that are made for new hardware the older the hardware the harder it is to support in the new environment.

Yes a lot of people that post agree with you. But they are only here to complain. The ones that have no problems and like the OS have no need to complain about stuff so they do not post.

There are also many many many people that do not have any problems with Windows 11. There are also people that have no problem with Linux distros and a a lot of people that do have a problem with Linux distros.

I have been a in IT for many many years.

I have found no problems with Windows 11 that cant be worked out just like Windows 10 and problems that need worked out.

Every OS and New version of OSs has plus and minuses. Every OS has its issues. 11 is directed at more modern hardware so I am sure that like all OSs that are made for new hardware the older the hardware the harder it is to support in the new environment.

Yes a lot of people that post agree with you. But they are only here to complain. The ones that have no problems and like the OS have no need to complain about stuff so they do not post.
So you are aware of the problem you just choose to ignore it because you don't have a problem navigating through the nuances about it because you are a "Professional". The problem comes when people who are NOT professional and have to re-learn the OS with all the changes. When you have a large organization, you have to pay money to retrain people, whether it is a class, a video, or IT having to deal with little new PICNIC problems related to the changes with the new OS it is going to cost more money. When in reality Windows 10 is chugging along just fine and really especially at this point in time is running with less problems than Windows 11 that are still getting ironed out. The taskbar changes are unacceptable in my opinion. So yeah, you like Windows 11. Congrats, don't pretend it is something it's not. People are here complaining because it has issues, do you ignore your clients when they complain as well?

Back